What does Cura do with 3mf files?

Kurator

Posted · What does Cura do with 3mf files?

I'm quite confused about what Cura does with 3mf files.

When I open a 3mf file which only has the 3dmodel.model file but no cura settings (cube_stack.3mf) then it positions the two cubes as mentioned in the 3mf file

-> at 0,0,0 a 2x2x2 cube and one stacked directly on top (3mf_empty_settings.png)

When I create some printer settings and export a 3mf file without a model and move the exported settings to the empty Cura folder from the previous 3mf file (now cube_stack_with.3mf)

and load it into cura I get (3mf_with_settings.png) where the cubes are not at the correct position anymore. Shouldn't the 3dmodel.model file be the only one which stores the position of the models (maybe besides some offsets? ) Are there any offsets between models that I'm missing here?

Also in the 3mf_empty_settings.png I expected to see the name of the two models cube_bottom and cube_top as that information is also only in the 3dmodel.model file.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I'm using Linux and Cura 4.11.0 

3mf_with_settings.png

3mf_empty_settings.png

cube_stack_with.3mf cube_stack.3mf

Thanks for the comment. Interesting yeah I also figured out that it depends on whether I restart Cura sometimes or whether some previous settings are somehow saved in the cache or somewhere.

Are you using 4.11.0 as well or a newer version of Cura? 

Yes I extracted it though to also be able to directly work with CuraEngine