Ultimaker Cura only shows a job taking 10 minutes when it should take hours

MegaZylo

Posted · Ultimaker Cura only shows a job taking 10 minutes when it should take hours

Anytime I have tried to slice my imported .ipt files into Gcode the software says it will take 10 minutes to do the full part, which should take hours. I have put it into a Gcode reader which says the same thing. I am using the recommended settings and my printer can print other users Gcode files just not my own because of this.

I'm using an Ender 3 Pro and Ultimaker Cura 4.12.1

Thanks in advance for any advice

CE3PRO_Test Piece1.gcode

Posted · Ultimaker Cura only shows a job taking 10 minutes when it should take hours

It looks like a 10 minute print to me.  Within the gcode it's calling it 9.05 minutes (543 seconds).

When you open the gcode file in Cura does it look to be the correct size?  Here it is on my 230 x 230 Ender 3 Pro bed.

image.thumb.png.51f75d502651b5f0141111a5f13c5582.png

Did you scale the model in Cura?  If it was drawn in inches then the scale would be 2540%.  If it was drawn in feet or centimeters or meters then the scale would be different.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply,

It was modelled in mm and scaled to 100%, the dimensions are 10mm x 10mm x 7.5mm so it is small. However, I printed a part last week made by another user that is 50mm x 15mm x 20mm which took 3 hours (roughly) to complete.

It's apples and oranges.  Cura has a lot of speed settings.  A user can also change the acceleration and jerk settings that affect print time.  If the gcode you printed was sliced with an Ender 3 or 3 Pro as the active printer in Cura then you should be OK but generally - it's a bad idea to print someone else's gcode.  You just never know unless you go through at least the start gcode line-by-line.

All-in-all I've found Cura print time calculation to be pretty accurate.  If that little print of yours took hours I'd be a bit concerned.  I print TPU at 10mm/sec and PLA at 75mm/sec so for me the material makes a big difference as well.

• Like 2

On another note, running foreign G-Code is a heavy security risk. I know, just off the top of my head, at least a dozen ways of causing serious damage to your printer with G-Code. If you're running a firmware without thermal runaway protection (and I know many Enders still get shipped without, mine did), a malicious (or simply broken) G-Code could set your house on fire.

Now @reneroth it's the holidays so let's be charitable...Ender's have more than one way to burn a house down.  "High Resistance Connection" at the power supply screw-connection to the mainboard comes right to mind.

Here's mine.

DSCN2577.thumb.JPG.23f7f2e8e11f2118d1242b2def218104.JPG