Long print and overheating Ender 3 Max

JohnyCage

Posted · Long print and overheating Ender 3 Max

Hello there, we're planning a long press, for 40 hours. Is it manageable for this machine or, for example, is it necessary to give software pause only, etc.? I want to avoid shutting down in the middle of work. Does Cura software have an engine temperature control somewhere? I have no experience with such a long print, so I will be happy for every tip.

Posted · Long print and overheating Ender 3 Max

I have an Ender 3 Pro.  My longest prints were back-to-back 27 hour prints and there were no problems.  Any print beyond 20 or 30 minutes has everything on the printer up to it's operating temperature and so a 40 hour print would have the same chance of failing as a 1 hour print.  You could develop a clog in the hot end or skip a tooth on a belt the same as with any print.

The printer is just reading the Gcode (which should be on an memory card) and there is no monitoring of any system as the only devices to monitor are the two thermistors.

Depending on how many hours of print time your Ender has; you may want to open the mainboard box and re-tighten the two screws holding the main black and red wires that come in from the power supply.  The wires are tinned with solder (and there are no brass ferrules) and so the connections are prone to loosening and causing a high resistance connection which is a definite hazard.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies