Filament Change

TheNaughtyWizard

Posted · Filament Change

I just got a new Ender 3 V2.  I am trying to do a filament change mid print in Cura. For some reason, after I go through adding the script and re-slicing, nothing gets added to the generated GCODE. 

If I do the same thing with the "pause at height" script, it gets added properly but it only pauses for a few seconds and then resumes the print before I get a change to change the filament. I can open up the gcode in a text editor and see the added changes.

I don't understand why trying to add the "filament change' script doesn't show any gcode changes at all?

Posted (edited) · Filament Change

The filament change should be added.  It's only a single line of code.  Check that the layer you are asking to stop at is a "legal" layer and not above the top of the model.  Layers within the gcode file are Base0 and in the Cura preview they are Base1.  If you ask for a filament change at layer 10 then within the gcode the change will occur just before gcode Layer 9 prints.  Including Layer:0, Layer 9 is the 10th layer in the gcode file.  It would look like this:

M600 E30.00 U300.00 X0.00 Y0.00 Z5.00 ; Generated by FilamentChange plugin
    ;LAYER:9

All that being said, Creality made what I consider to be mistakes in the firmware.  M0, M1, and M117 send messages to the LCD and they either were not enabled in the firmware, or more likely, the TFT type LCD was configured incorrectly and won't accept messages from the commands and so are ignored by the printer (that's the "stops for a few seconds" problem as the printer did receive the M109 temperature command and takes 10 seconds to decide it's OK to continue).  M600 is not enabled on my Ender 3 Pro.  G2 and G3 are probably not enabled on your printer (maybe because of high memory overhead) and so the ArcWelder plugin will not work.

In Pause At Height try using M25 instead of M0 and see if that works.

If M25 does not work, then you will have to use a G4 S333 command in "Gcode after pause" (where the S parameter tells the printer how many seconds to pause for).

Edited by GregValiant