Wham Bam Bed Systems on an Ultimaker 2/2+

Posted · Wham Bam Bed Systems on an Ultimaker 2/2+

Hi

For years I have used a magnetic sheet on top of the glass bed and a spring steel/PEI surface

Over the years, that sheet has started to underperform and simply worn out.

I have Wham Bam Bed Systems on several of my other non-Ultimaker machines and wanted to try it the UM2+

Here's what I've noticed and done so far    I hope this will work!

First, the Wham Bam Bed (WB) has the PEX pre-applied.   One less decal you have to worry about an air bubble ruining your day!

Second, the WB Bed tabs lay on top of the glass bed's retaining clips.  Whether you wanted to use the glass bed or not, they are in the way.

Now, I suppose you could use some metal shears and trim the WB bed, but that could damage it too.

I contacted WB and they indicated the suggested method of applying the magnet direct on the heated bed.

I went ahead and unscrewed the bed leveling knobs in the front and removed the clips.  I put everything back together.  (The rear ones aren't in the way so I left them alone.)

I thoroughly cleaned the bed surface with IPA and carefully applied the magnet to the bed.

Sounds good, right?

Well, without the glass bed, when you go to level the new surface, it's very close to the top end of the range of movement for the Z axis.

I also noticed as I was adjusting the bed via the leveling springs, I was nearing the tops of those, too.

My first test print was using Grey filament, which is super hard to see on that surface!  My bed leveling looked too close so tonight I'll try again using White PLA

Has anyone else used WhamBam on the UM2/UM2+ ?

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Wham Bam Bed Systems on an Ultimaker 2/2+

Okay so I got this upgrade completed!

I was a little concerned about the bed z travel being very near the top of where it could go.  But some adjusting of the bed leveling screws got it all set.  No major surgery required!

I was a little concerned the bed/magnet/PEX plate wouldn't have the same flatness that a glass bed offers  However all of my prints, after the usually bed leveling adjustments, are printing great!

Here's my video on all the fun upgrades I did to my Ultimaker 2+

• Like 2