Ultimaker 2+ Connect - bed not heating up anymore

kupfeli

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - bed not heating up anymore

Hi there!

I have a problem with my Ultimaker 2+ Connect, the heatbed is not heating up consistently anymore. With the latest version of Cura and all defaults active I created a slice of a model using Ultimaker PLA White as the material.

As the gcode flavour Griffin is used (per default), but also when using Marlin or adding bed heating gcode manually, the same problem occurs.

I am using a bed temperature of 60 degrees.

When I load the UFP file in the printer and start the printing process, I feel the bed and sometimes it heats up, but most of the time it does not and stays at room temperature or only a tiny bit higher.

Then the nozzle starts heating and after the nozzle is heated up, the print starts but with a too cold bed.

I have taken out the bed completely, unclamped the cables from the mainboard and tested the cables for breakage (using a multimeter) and are well and the soldering is perfect too.

The PT100 also shows resistance in the 100 Ohms range, so that is working fine.

I reconnected the cables, started the print again and it was still not working.

I did a factory reset multiple times, even change material to Generic PLA, always made sure that the material configured in the printer settings matches the UFP config, I reinstalled the latest 1.5 firmware, but still nothing.

Only thing I can think of is that the bed heating wires are broken somehow and it does not heatup anymore, or there is a failure on the mainboard, but I am lost.

I dont have a 24V/7.5A battery or adapter, so I cant test it manually.

Does anyone have any clues for me what I can try out? It is also quite annoying that you cant heatup the bed from the menu or see the temperature.

Thanks in advance, before buying a new bed I want to be sure that the bed is broken of course.

UPDATE: The bed was heating up again once and it hung in the cooldown phase (the cooldown menu would not go away). That means the heatbed is fine but there must be a problem on the mainboard maybe? This is so annoying, not being to able to diagnose the error and the diagnostic logging does not give any errors.

UPDATE 2: After switching the machine off and on again (as it did want to print anymore after the cooldown hung) and starting the print again, the cooldown was again skipped and the machine started printing on a cold bed. Same print file that did heat up the first time.

I really dont know what is wrong here. This printer is only 8 months old and I printed very little.

I also see the LEDs flickering a bit sometimes, but not turning off, as if there is a power problem or something. I already checked all cables and there is nothing loose.

All ideas how to diagnose my problem are very welcome!!! I really hope someone can help me …

Edited by kupfeli

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - bed not heating up anymore
    2 hours ago, kupfeli said:

This printer is only 8 months old

I would contact an UM reseller, the printer is in warranty and before you try to replace several things, call them for repair.

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - bed not heating up anymore
    3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I would contact an UM reseller, the printer is in warranty and before you try to replace several things, call them for repair.

Thanks Smithy, I think you are right and I will do that.

• 6 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - bed not heating up anymore

Just wanted to note that mine has done the same thing. I tested with an external thermistor and it only reaches 30c when it should be at 110c. Has been working fine for the past 3 days and all of a sudden no longer wants to get hot. I have contacted the reseller and I am waiting on a response. (ordered Jan 2021)

Edited by Joel61