Help setting up specific supports

JodyS21

Posted · Help setting up specific supports

I've spent hours trying to figure this out.

I've got an object I've created in Cura that I want supported in a certain way.

I created a 2nd object that I want to be printed too - without supports, and the first object to be supported off of this one.

I've attached a simple example of what I'm trying to do, can anyone figure out what to do in Cura to get it to do what I want?

So the main object I want supported from the base - it has a cut out underneath.

Then the main object has an overhang that needs supporting, but I don't want the support to be built off of the object itself; so I have created a self supporting second object that the overhang on the main object can be built off of.

No matter what I do, it always in addition to what I want, also prints support underneath the support object.

Included is a picture showing only where I want the supports to be - in blue.

I've tried add support blockers/overlaps with different support settings.

Can anyone figure out how to do it????

It's driving me mad!!!!!

thanks

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 22.27.14.png

TestBody.3mf TestSupport.stl TestBody.stl

Thanks I've just opened up your file in cura.

The tree supports make it take hours longer to print, I did try using trees but as well as taking a long time it also didn't support the underneath cut out enough on the real models.

Thanks for trying, that's not what I want though.

The real model I have designed was actually already 2 separately printed items that fitted together, I wanted to print it as one part.

Fundamentally I want to "customise" the supports in the way I have said, but cannot get it to do it using support blockers/print as support/individual object support settings.

Well I gave it a shot.  It looks like I didn't think of anything you hadn't come up with yourself.  Good Luck.

Hours later, I've finally pretty much got it to work as I wanted.

thanks for the help.

I created a taller support model with a flat top 0.8mm below the overhang, it put in just the support ceiling in the 0.8mm gap and, for some reason is stopped creating supports below the support model.