After 1 year, the world has improved beyond recognition!

coofercat

Posted · After 1 year, the world has improved beyond recognition!

I'd just like to say "thanks" to everyone who's responsible for making the Ultimaker so good. Thank you folks - you're doing a great job!

I had to pack my Ultimaker 1 (with old hot end + friction extruder, about 2.5 years old now) into a box around about this time last year. I got it unpacked over the weekend, and downloaded the latest Cura to use with it. Installing and running Cura walked me through levelling the bed (still pretty close to level, even after some travelleing about), and upgraded the firmware. It also suggested I either buy or print the upgraded, spring & bearing extruder. Initially I skipped that bit ;-)

Within just a few minutes, I was up and running and printed out a couple of small parts. I got confident, so had a look on Youmagine (another nice new feature) and downloaded a lamp shade to print (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/lampshade). I tried it half size just to try it out, but my extruder failed, so I decided to print the upgrade.

I just put the upgraded extruder in last night, and have printed some things successfully, so once again, full of confidence I've set the printer to print the lamp shade in full size (fast quality, something like an 11 hour print). I'm at work right now, so can't see how it's getting on - I'll find out tonight when I get home ;-)

So anyway, with my old, old printer, I'm back up and running. Really cool things that have happened since I last used it include:

- Cura has come on leaps and bounds. It's really good now, and much more what home 3D printing needs. It's so much faster and better looking than way back in the day when I used Replicator G (and even early Cura versions). I can't really comment on the quality of slicing, but so far, it's doing a great job.

- Extruder spring + bearing upgrade. This is older than a year, but is great. I love that I can print the upgrades that have come along since I bought my printer.

- Youmagine - it's early days for the site, but I've moved all my stuff over from Thingiverse. There are some really nice things on Youmagine, so I'm looking forward to lots more in the future

- Firmware - I've upgraded it, but I can't really say what's improved in it, but it seems to be working very nicely

- This forum - I'm still subscribed to the Google groups digest, but hey, I'm gonna move with the times and get on the forum from now on ;-)

So as I say, for everyone who's been a part of these and other improvements - a big thank you from me. Can't wait to print some more cool stuff in the future :-)