software question

camshaft2010

Posted · software question

machine name is M09 FDM type 3d printer, the only thing it says it that the online applicable software is cura, etc. I bought this printer new in the box at an auction for cheap, however the only thing missing is the tf card. in the software installation instructions it calls for cura 14.07. my question is can I download this software, and set the machine parameters and get it to work, or do I need the tf card? is it this easy, or have i wasted my money on a useless printer?

Posted (edited) · software question

I don't know your level of understanding regarding 3D printing so this is basic.

Cura installs on your computer.  The current version is 4.13.1 and you can download it from HERE.  After downloading - run the installation file.

After Cura installs it will start up and you will be asked to add your printer.  There is no definition file for a "Winice M09" printer.  After seeing a picture of it, I suggest you install the "Creality Ender 3 Pro".  You will find it in Non-Networked printers and then Creality 3D.  On the right side of the dialog is a textbox where you can change the name.

Next is a dialog where the machine size, gcode flavor, and some other things are defined.  I suggest you set the X(width), and Y(depth) to 235 for both and the Z(height) to 260.  Leave the "G-Code Flavor" as Marlin.

The "StartUp G-Code" contains the initial setup for the printer for any print.  The "End G-Code" shuts the machine down after a print.

You load a model into Cura (often an STL file and I've attached a calibration cube below) and adjust the settings and then Cura will create a Gcode file.  You save the gcode file to a memory card that will fit into the printer, and then tell the printer to print the file.  The "firmware" in the printer reads the gcode instructions and moves the printer axes.  The result is supposed to be a 3D print.

Some of those printers have a hard limit on the size of the memory card that they can read.  I would suggest getting one that is 32gb or smaller to use with the printer.  There may be a limit on the length of a file name as well.  I suggest you limit the file name prefix to 16 characters.

Attached is a very simple Gcode file.  Download it and then open it with a text editor and take a look.  It is just some movement instructions with a slight heat up for the hot end and bed.  The temperatures should show up on the LCD.  If it doesn't work then there are issues that will need to be addressed.  The layer cooling fan should turn on at 100%.  If your printer does not have a heated bed then the gcode might hang (because it asks for the bed to heat up).  There are no extrusions in the file.  If the 3 axes motors work then the extruder should work.

There is a fella that goes by "CHEP" who has a set of YouTube videos he calls "Filament Fridays".  I would suggest you peruse them.  He is kind of Creality specific but much of the information can be applied to any printer.

Test_M09.gcode X-Y Ref Block.stl

Edited by GregValiant