Thermocouple issue

Posted · Thermocouple issue

Hi guys

i have a strange behaviour of my thermocouple.

maybe someone has me a hint to get it right.

With my setup i get a reading of 20°C roomtemperature shown in ReplicatorG.

but.. when i heat up the nozzle the Temperature in ReplicatorG drops slowly to zero were it stays.

Do i have the wrong thermocouple?!? when i plug it in the other way around it will produce the 1024°error.

Thanks for any help on this

greetings

"plug it the other way around", did you switch the red/yellow wires? or the 3 wire connector? Because it sounds like you have the red/yellow wires twisted.

Also, small note of warning, your PEEK part will damage if it reaches 300C, so be careful with leaving the heater on when the temperature is measured wrong.

dont worry i didnt heat longer than 30 sec.

when i switch the red/yellow then i get the 1024° error.. so i assume i had it plugged in right

i dont have a three wire connector between my thermocouple and the extruderboard.

but i have one of those thermocouple amp boards (it has three outgoing connectors) but found no use for it because my Extruderboard should have an onboard solution for this.

sadly i cant downgrade to thermistors i only get more errors

I want to be sure that everything goes right:

1. Did you order an Ultimaker from

http://www.ultimaker.com

? If not, then you were being scammed and should ask for a refund.

2. Did you follow the build instructions on wiki.ultimaker.com? (build instructions)

but i have one of those thermocouple amp boards (it has three outgoing connectors) but found no use for it because my Extruderboard should have an onboard solution for this.
    I dont know what you were trying to say with this sentence. Do you mean the motherboard or the small piece of electronics on top of the extruder? The little green board on top of the extruder is the thermocouple amplification board. (assembly, step 24)

dont worry i didnt heat longer than 30 sec.
    :) perfect. The increase in temperature should be 20-30C in that time.

when i switch the red/yellow then i get the 1024° error.. so i assume i had it plugged in right
    Well, if your temperature measurement goes down when your temperature is going up. Then there must be a mistake somewhere.

i dont have a three wire connector between my thermocouple and the extruderboard.

The 2 wire (red/yellow) is between the thermocouple and the thermocouple board.

The 3 wire is between the thermocouple board and the Ultimaker PCB.

Not sure if you can get the 3 wire the wrong way around. And no idea what will happen. But just asking.

sadly i cant downgrade to thermistors i only get more errors
    Because the Ultimaker PCB requires an extra resistor. And you don't need to use the thermocouple board then.

Did you install any new firmware? Because you might get this if you configure a thermistor in the firmware and use a thermocouple.

Thx for the reply

sry

i forgot to say i use Makerbot electronics in my custom setup. they have the thermocouple board inside the Extruderboard.. but i have a external one too.

the themocouple is a type-K form MB store and all the components work actually together very good.

just is this temp issue. im testing some experimental printer firmwares now. maybe i find a solution.

i definitely need to find a electronic/hacking nerd whos way better than me..

I get back to you when i tried the things you told.

if nothing works il order ultimaker electronics later...