Ultimaker Mark 2 does not work anymore

garaha2012

Posted · Ultimaker Mark 2 does not work anymore

Hi, Experts, I had long been happy with my Mark 2 upgrade.
Now I found that the second print head does not work.

if in Cura I want to start a dual print, it only uses Print head 1.

if, as a test, I want only print with the second extruder only (specified in Cura) still only the first Print head prints, not the one I had chosen.

any advice from the Mark 2 Experts?

kind regards

Gunther

I would do two things (as a start):

1. Check, if the generated g-code contains the commands for extruder switching (T0, T1). If in doubt, choose "File" - "Save Project..." in Cura and share the 3mf file here.
    2. Check if the Mark2 firmware is still installed on the printer and do a manual extruder switch (via the menu on the printer) to check if it still works.

Hi Tinkergnome, good that the old experts are still around.

I am so glad to get some response so fast.

Now, I changed filament in Extruder 2, just to move it around, that work fine.

So I think it is not a mechanical problem on the printer.

But I studied Cura more in depth, and to me the problem lies there.

The screen does not show the use of extruder 2, just Extruder one and no support tower.

Also when I wanted only to print with extruder 2 it automatically started with Extruder 1 alone.

I have no clue to get Cura right.

I also used the same file on my Printer Ultimaker 3/ Cura, and it seem to print correctly with both extruders,

or rather it creates the correct file.

I enclose some screenshots. I hope that helps.

Your tip to check the g-code sounds right, but the Cura surface already shows this fault.

Thank you and kind regards

Gunther

Cura M 2 print 1.png

Cura M 2 print 2.png

Cura U3 print 3.png

5 hours ago, garaha2012 said:

The screen does not show the use of extruder 2, just Extruder one and no support tower.

Also when I wanted only to print with extruder 2 it automatically started with Extruder 1 alone.

One obvious thing is that both g-code files are generated with flavor "Griffin". That's correct for the UM3 but the Mark2 definition needs to be changed back to "Marlin" (it's in "Machine Settings").

Regarding the second question:

To start a print with the second extruder it needs a different start g-code. You can add a second printer for this purpose and swap the priming/preheating sequence for T0 and T1 (more or less).

The lazy easy way to print with the second extruder only:

• add a regular UM2+ in Cura, change the g-code flavor to Marlin and slice as usual (there's no way to select an extruder in this case)
    • on the printer: first change to the extruder you want to use for this print and start the print afterwards

G-code for a regular UM2(+) does not contain commands for extruder selection, it will do the whole print with the previously selected extruder.

Hi Tinkergnome,

thanks for the hint to choose Marlin, have changed it, but no progress.

Maybe you see something in the file.

Thanks and 

kind regards

Gunther

M 2 zwei.png

M2 eins.png

MFORU_Brücke 3b.3mf

First of all:

All 3mf files that you added contain only the model, no Cura settings. Use "File -> Save project" to save a complete project file.

That means: i have only the 3D model - it seems to work just fine with the standard profile. The only thing i changed was to select the second extruder for one of the parts.

It's still only guesswork - but in Cura i would type "extruder" in the search bar and double check that all related extruder selections (for both extruders !) are set to "Not overridden".

Or: select one of the provided default profiles, do a "Discard all changes" (if applicable) and check again with the default settings.

image.thumb.png.de48430282ba68132c7c9206d076d329.png

ah, "not overridden", that's it!

I keep searching anyway.

I hope using your hint to save as "project", I hope this gives enough information.

Gunther

MFORU_Brücke_x.3mf

looks good, start a print soon.

MFORU_Brücke 3.png