Messed Around with Machine Settings (UM2+)... now confused - build plate dimenions

gdog

Posted · Messed Around with Machine Settings (UM2+)... now confused - build plate dimenions

Hi all - I have a UM2+ and was recently trying to print some dupe objects using the "one after the other" setting in CURA.  To do that I had to change some settings like the gantry height in the "machine settings" tab of CURA.  I took a screen shot of the original settings not thinking much about it.  Now I went back to restore the original settings, and I notice that the X, Y and Z (build volume / bed dimensions) don't look correct to me.  They are (and were, at the time I took the screenshot), X=223, Y=223, Z=205.  My measurement of the UM2 glass build plate is like 227 x 255, but it is definitely not square. 

I attempted to get to the default values by adding a "new machine" in CURA, of the UM2 family.  It still has those same values as the initial settings (223x223).  Tried a search on this issue, got nothing.

I don't understand what's going on, so  I am wondering if anybody knows whether things will work ok if I change these settings to what my actual measured glass size is... again, for a UM2 family machine, it seems like it could be set to x=227, y=255? 

Thanks.

Screenshot from 2022-02-19 17-59-50.png

Posted · Messed Around with Machine Settings (UM2+)... now confused - build plate dimenions
    3 hours ago, gdog said:

They are (and were, at the time I took the screenshot), X=223, Y=223, Z=205.  My measurement of the UM2 glass build plate is like 227 x 255, but it is definitely not square.

The glass plate is a bit larger than the area that is reachable by the printhead. Only the latter matters. Values for the buildvolume from your screenshot are correct for UM2-series and the standard printhead.

Hope that helps!

The glass plate is a bit larger than the area that is reachable by the printhead. Only the latter matters. Values for the buildvolume from your screenshot are correct for UM2-series and the standard printhead.

Thank you for that insight.  

Just an aside, because it's kinda interesting to note - for want of available supply, I had been using a creality glass bed that was 235mm x 235mm when I first got this printer.  (It also was a lot cheaper at my local Microcenter.)  The problem with using that glass is that even though I was careful to put lay out the object in Cura at the center of the print area, the prime blob would land off the left edge of the glass.  So it doesn't seem correct that the print head can only reach a 223 x 223 print area.  But I am willing to accept it with respect to other considerations, for example, it seems like around the edges there can be adhesion issue and uneven temps, something I came up against when I was doing the multi-object print and posted about separately in another thread.