Temperature tower - temp does not change

Princy557

Posted · Temperature tower - temp does not change

I have been trying to do some testing with a temperature tower.

I have an A20T and have downloaded a couple of different temperature towers From T/Verse and another site.

I have gone through my profiles and looked at every temperature setting I can find. I have also looked at the materials I have added and the setting therein. 

However when I attempt to print the tower it always prints at 215 for every single level. Even when it's not the temp tower  whatever I print seems to have to print at 215

Any suggestions where I can look to find the (probably peronal error)?

I have just set up a job and the profile says to use 205 degrees with hotbed off 55. On starting hotbed went to 60 then down to 55 (as set). But nozzle went to 205 then on up to 215.

It seems the gcode is not controlling the A20T and changing the temperature during printing???

Regards

If you haven't done so - go to the Marketplace and load the Printer Settings plugin.  Within the Printer Settings are "Extruders share heater" and "Extruders share nozzle".  I recall that the AxxT printers are 2-in-1-out printers.  Cura needs to know that.

You may also have to create custom materials.  A normal situation with separate dual hot ends would be for the inactive hot end to cool to "Standby Temperature" so it doesn't drool.  Your custom material could be altered so the Standby Temperature is the same as the Print Temperature.

Once you have that sorted out you will need to tell Cura when to change temperatures.  The ChangeAtZ plugin is the tool for that.  Go to "Extensions|Post-Processing|Modify GCode|Select Settings|ChangeAtZ".  You would need an instance for every temperature change.  The first might be "change at layer 25" and the second would be "change at layer 40" and then "change at layer 55", etc.

Hi GregValiant,

Thanks for the response.

Yes I have Printer setting plugin, with the correct nozzles settings as per your para above.

A20T is a triple filament single nozzle. I have set all mateerials I'm using to 205 matching their normal print temp.

I've searched all the setting on the advanced panel to see if I can find this 215, not showing anywhere.

Not sure why i would have to ChangeAtZ as I have a fixed temp throughout print.

Also this ChangeAtZ is the 5.3  experimental one on my system.

It's still stuck on 215C.

I have this running as print via the USB, would that make a difference?

Regards

If you are using Octoprint then USB printing might make a difference.  I think the Octoprint setup can be adjusted to make changes to gcode settings on the fly.  I don't use it though so I'm not sure.

Set up a model or models that will use all three extruders.  After setting Cura up use the "File / Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.  I have played around with virtual multi-extruder machines in Cura.  I seem to recall this behavior being mentioned before (either here or on Github).

Posted (edited) · Temperature tower - temp does not change

HI,

Well I'm at a total loss.

I cleared out my own custom materials, rebooted, then created 4 new PLA, all at 205C nozzle, 55C hotbed.

Created a new profile so it was all new.

Set up a print and printed.....hotbed went to 60C and stayed there. Nozzle went to 200C then went to 220C then 215C where it stayed for about 10 minutes.  Then it started, 200-206-215-180-190-170-180-290-200-201 and on it went until it dropped to about 165C and the mother board couldn't cope, alarmed itself and came up with a message about the heating being unable to work. Nozzle started to cool fairly rapidly. But hotbed stayed at 60C. Until I pressed the reset button.

I followed this by the same job. Again I rebooted everything and made a fresh start with importing an .stl file (same as befor) TI used same profile and same material with the above settings.

This time it  took hotbed to 60C then dropped to 55C. Then the nozzle went to 205C, it then did an autohome, paused and up the temperature went to 215C again.

Where it decided to stay and print. But not at the temperature I wanted and was setup in the materials.

Should I be thinking of uninstalling the lot and starting from scratch maybe.???

Sorry it takes me so long to answer, but pain dictates if I can play or not.

Regards

Edited by Princy557
    Forgot a ?

We need a project file so this can be investigated.  Verbiage and photos are all very well, but a project file can contain real clues.

Hi GregValiant,

Thanks again....

At this point in time I'm rather inclined to getting a fresh start and use what little I've learnt over the last few months from this forum.

There could be all sorts of errors of my own making that have caused it. and wasting your's and others time with a project might be counter productive.

I think in my own head this is the right way forward for me to go.

Hope it goes away with a fresh start.

Regards

If you go to Settings | Printer |(your printer) | Manage Printers | Machine Settings and check the StartUp GCode does it look like this:

G28

G1 Z15 F300

M107

G90

M82

M104 S215

M140 S55

G92 E0

M109 S215

M107

M163 S0 P0.33

M163 S1 P0.33

M163 S2 P0.33

M164 S4

G0 X10 Y20 F6000

G1 Z0.8

G1 F300 X180 E40

G1 F1200 Z2

G92 E0

G28

You can see that the temps for the "active extruder" are hard coded at 215 and the bed is at 55.  This is the standard StartUp Gcode for an A10T.

What you can do with this part of the problem is to change those lines to Cura replacement words.

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

and 

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

That will change the temperature for the skirt extruder to whatever you have set for it in Cura.

The M163 lines are setting up a mixing extruder which would be the M164 line and is extruder 4.  You could call extruder 4 and each extruder motor would deliver 33% ("P0.33") of the filament for any extrusion.  There is more on that on the Marlin site.

• Like 1