skirt plus raft

tmcolby

Posted · skirt plus raft

Most of the time - My standard procedure is to print a raft of breakaway (for a couple of reasons).  I use mostly PLA and Tough PLA.  PLA printed onto the breakaway raft makes a nice texture on the first later that visually appealing and consistent.  Breakaway adheres to the bed well and PLA adheres to the raft well - and they both separate well when the print is done.  Additionally, printing a raft removes any inconsistencies you may get on a first layer.

Let me start with that I do not like to use the prime blob feature.  Often the blob can get unstuck and drag across the build plate and ruin the first later.  I used to deal with it by monitoring the beginning of the print and manually grab the blob with tweezers.  The behavior USED TO BE that the prime blob for the PLA would come immediately after the first layer of my breakaway raft... BUT NOW the prime blob for the PLA comes after all layers of the breakaway raft have printed.  So, I dont like babysitting especially if I have a large raft.  Additionally, after the PLA prime blobs it now strings across the plat to the first position that it starts printing and it over extrudes and the beginning of the print.  (back when it printed right after the first layer of the raft, if it did string, it gets caught up in that first layer of the raft and buried by the subsequent layers of the raft making everything ok)

So... If I am not printing on a raft, I always use skirt to properly prime the nozzle which works great.  What I would like to be able to do is print a raft + skirt for both nozzles.  This feature was requested years ago but Ultimaker team chose to close the issue and not do anything.  

Any ideas on a solution to be able to use a raft and also be able to prime the nozzles?  And when I say prime the nozzles, I would like actual tracks printed on to the build plate (not prime blob)