UM3 Wifi Daughterboard Question

UltiDad

Posted · UM3 Wifi Daughterboard Question

Hello - question for those familiar with the original UM3

I was servicing my UM3 for an issue with intermittent WiFi connection problems: printer would be fine but every so often would lose connection ("Printer Unreachable" error in Cura Digital Factory monitoring screen) as well as not be able to generate a WiFi hotspot during WiFi setup on the machine. Would need to restart the machine, and then would work again for a while until it didn't.

I finally opened the underside and upon examining the WiFi daughterboard that is attached on the main board via a 5-pin connector, I noticed it was very loose and assumed it must be losing contact with the pins at arrow "A" over time due to vibrations during printing and such. I did an old fanning technique on the pins to make them fit more snugly in their female receptacle on the main board and secured it with tape. Since then several days with no issues so I think the source problem has been addressed (fingers crossed).

However I was surprised to see that in my machine it was ONLY this connection that was holding the board in place. I did see a hole going through standoffs at arrow "B" and my feeling is there is supposed to be a screw here? Also the circuit board trace would suggest this screw would provide a chassis ground for the board.

Can anyone please confirm? And if so, what is the size of the missing screw so I can replace it?

Thanking you in advance. 

wifi1.jpg

IMG_8728.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted · UM3 Wifi Daughterboard Question

(pretty late answer, but better an answer than never?)

Not sure about yours, may be the screw got loose and went away on your printer.
    Now, when mine does have the screw, I see that cents were spared since I don't have the HDMI connector on my board (seriously, given the overall price....).
    And, more annoyingly, my wifi is dead - even with the screw. Glad you fixed yours this way 😉