0.6mm Nozzle can not print 0.2mm layer height?

Mjackson

Posted · 0.6mm Nozzle can not print 0.2mm layer height?

Hello there everyone

Having an issue with cura

I have a creality ender 3 Pro bout 18 months old

Slicing with cura

Changed to a 0.6mm nozzle months ago nicely dialed in a 0.48mm layer height! Perfect 1st layer perfect dimensions etc really happy

1st time since I changed layer height to 0.2mm and it prints with loads of gaps between the lines, like it's under extruding.... 

To get it to successfully bond the lines together I had to increase the flow from 92% to 140%! But then the top of the print was terrible and over extruding 😂

This was cura 4.12.1 so I updated to latest version 4.13.1 but still the same

Only thing I'm altering is the layer height.... 

I installed prusa slicer to see if that was OK and that printed 1st layers fine 0.48 and 0.2

I even tried the standard default 0.2mm layer height profile and that prints just as bad

So not sure if it's a bug or? 

Stuck for ideas 😭😭

16496153452195069072053888749882.jpg

Hi Thank alot

please see attached only thing i altered different from the 0.48 layer is just the layer height to 0.2mm

i have the same set up at work (cura with an ender 3 pro) i tried the exact same thing 0.48mm layer height print and then alter the layer height to 0.2mm and both printed no problem

so not sure what ive done here 😞

0.2 Layer Height.gcode 0.2 Layer Height.3mf

Still racking my brain on this

Ive only been doing a single layer test..... i just tested a 2nd layer and that layer seems to be ok at 0.2mm it looks like it maybe just the skirt and 1st layer which seem to be under extruding?

if that helps at all 🙂

Cheers

I don't see it under-extruding in the Gcode.  Remember, the first layer height is dependent on the "leveling" process.

From the Gcode the TOTAL E of layer 0 (not including the skirt) is 124.4013 and for the second layer it's 124.3863.  That's a difference of only .01%.  Even Mr. Spock would be impressed.

My printer is also an Ender 3 Pro.  I noticed early on that the Z switch wasn't consistent.  Sometimes it would be off by as much as .3mm between one homing event and the next.  Getting first layers down was a problem.

I was going to swap the Z and Y switches but I was too lazy (although it is an option).  Instead, I changed the G28 in the StartUp Gcode to G28 X Y.  My process now is to pre-heat the bed and hot end.  Level with my trusty piece of parchment paper.  Start the print.  The printer homes the X Y but leaves the Z height exactly where it was when I leveled.

You can try that, swapping the Z and Y switches, or add a second homing move as G28 Z to the StartUp Gcode.  I did  some testing and that seemed to work out alright as well.

Thanks for your reply!!

I took my sd card to work and printed the same file and printed fine, to rule out software etc

I feel like an idiot! so there quite a build up of glue stick on my glass bed.... i use a BL Touch 

cleaned the bed tried the print, still bad

Lowered my offset by 0.1 (from -2.4 to -2.5) and its perfect!

Total school boy error, but thanks for suggesting all the above 🙂

Cheers

So long as the problem is solved.  It's good that it was in the printer instead of in the Startup Gcode.