Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Grounding the print head for better temperature stability

sinan

Posted · Grounding the print head for better temperature stability

I had temperature instability problems since I got my Ultimaker like mentioned at the link below.

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Temperature_calibration#What_can_be_causing_this

The temperature monitor was showing ~20C more or less than the actual.

The solution I found is grounding the print head by connecting the gnd wire of the fan to one of the long screws. I don't know why but it shows the correct temperature immediately after grounding. The place I live has a dry climate. Maybe it has something to do with static electricity. Here is a possibly related phenomena:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_water_dropper

I hope this helps someone.

Posted · Grounding the print head for better temperature stability

Great information, thanks! Some people have found if they seperate the temperature probe wires *farther* from the fan wiring then their temperature is more stable. So just moving the wires a little bit might be enough.

edit: I'm talking about the probe wires *below* the circuit board on the head. Once the signal goes through the amplifier it is not so sensitive to crosstalk.