Start Gcode material specific Flags

MaKManIfest

Posted · Start Gcode material specific Flags

Hi,

I've been using S3D up until this point, stick with the devil you know kind of thing, and I have just spent the weekend refining some profiles for the filaments I use in Cura.

The options in Cura has always tempted me to put the effort in and I have attempted to setup Cura in the past but could never get the same print quality as in S3D. But I have set my mind to it and my Cura profiles are producing prints as good as S3D now, even a bit better if I'm honest, with Cura's options for z-seam tipping the balance. Printed mostly functional parts up to this point so Z-seam never bothered me but I have been printing asthetic models of late and the z-seam has been a real issue with S3D.

Otherwise the only other issues I've had with Cura were with generated gcode resulting in a stupidly long retraction after print end due to relative and absolute extrusion commands from Cura which I've fixed with some tweaks to my end gcode script.

The last issue (hopefully) is with the way Cura handles the start and end gcode scripts. In S3D Gcode scripts are added to material profiles, meaning you can have a different script for each material profile you make. Not so in Cura. They are attached to the machine profile instead which means you can only have 1 script for start, end etc for all the material profiles used.

For example, if i'm printing PETG I like to add a pause period after the bed comes to temp to give the bed time to heat evenly for better adhesion across the bed. With PLA this isn't really an issue so I don't want the pause.

Is there any way to assign flags in the start/end gcode script specific to materials so that Cura will either include the command or omit it in the generated gcode file dependant on the material selected and sliced? 

Posted (edited) · Start Gcode material specific Flags
    30 minutes ago, MaKManIfest said:

Is there any way to assign flags in the start/end gcode script specific to materials

Unfortunately, there is not.

The "simplest" way I can think of to achieve this is with a custom postprocessing script.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

Posted · Start Gcode material specific Flags
    On 5/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, ahoeben said:

Unfortunately, there is not.

The "simplest" way I can think of to achieve this is with a custom postprocessing script.

Bummer. Perhaps something that can be implemented at some point?