Does Cura remember material settings on a per-printer basis?

rsilvers

Posted · Does Cura remember material settings on a per-printer basis?

Say I want it to print RobPLA at 210C on my Qidi and 215C on S1Pro.

The easy way to do this is to create a material called RobPLA-Qidi, and then duplicate it, and make another material RobPLA-S1Pro. Is this the way it is done with Cura, or does it remember material settings for each and every printer?

Ideally, I would select S1Pro as my printer, and then go to Materials, and edit RobPLA to print at 215C, and then change Printer to my Qidi, and then set RobPLA under my Qidi printer to print at 210C. Then if I go back to my S1Pro, it should show 215C again. Is this supposed to work? If not, shouldn't it?

Posted · Does Cura remember material settings on a per-printer basis?

The answer is surprisingly complex. Yes, Cura can have a single material that has different print temperature settings for different printers, provided that the two printers have two different printer definitions that both say that they come with their own set of profiles that are not shared between the two, but Cura does not have the interface to set that up. You would have to edit xml files by hand.

7 hours ago, rsilvers said:

Ideally, I would select S1Pro as my printer, and then go to Materials, and edit RobPLA to print at 215C, and then change Printer to my Qidi, and then set RobPLA under my Qidi printer to print at 210C. Then if I go back to my S1Pro, it should show 215C again

Please realise that that word "ideally" is relative to your situation. Others may say "why do I have to change the settings for all my different printers? I want to change the value for all of them". Cura, not its developers, can read your mind while using Cura. Hence the current behavior.