Cura leaving gaps in walls near the line end

widden

Posted · Cura leaving gaps in walls near the line end

After slicing my model is full of gaps in the walls near the ends, around a mm wide, seemingly dispersed a bit randomly.  But sadly, enough to make the resulted print a 'failed' one. 
This is a 0.6mm thick wall, printing at 0.6mm line width.  So in theory it should be a simple continuous line.
Really weird, looks like a floating point rounding problem if anything.

Please see the screenshot and project attached.

I've tried this object earlier making the wall 0.61mm, but then the printer starts zig-zagging on *some* of the walls.  Still leaves gaps in other places.

Attached images, the two objects, and the project.
v13 of the ammo box is with the 0.61mm ,
v14 is with the 0.6mm wall thickness

The project file is with the 0.6 wall thickness again.

While this looks like a bug, I'd love to know if you guys have an idea for a work-around?
Is there's any way to get this to work and have a single line laid down (from wall to wall)?

Thanks!

0.6mm wall.jpg

0.61mm wall.jpg

yAmmoBox.v13.50cal.stl yAmmoBox.v14.50cal.stl yAmmoBox.v14.50cal.3mf

Cura only displays extrusion moves.  In your 3mf file "Coasting" is not enabled but those gaps in the images look exactly like what you see when Coasting IS enabled.

Those short travel lines at the end of an extrusion is the move finishing without extruding.

Hi Greg, thanks for your response.

I'm a bit confused - but I'm very tired, so apologies.

Fistly; I meant to put the part about "rounding error" after the zig-zag - since it does not make *all* walls a zig-zag, even the same wall is only partly zig-zagged .

Second; so are you saying that this is all good?  Should I just print it? 

Btw I've restarted my configs from absolute scratch since I had problems last with cura giving me very weird time estimates, about a month or so ago.  It seems to work OK till now - not sure what to make of it.   Do I need to re-create configs regularly for cura not to mess itself up?  

I've never had to redo my profiles (but I only have 3).

There have been numerous complaints about the Cura time estimates.  Mostly they are caused by the acceleration settings when a user wants 2000mm/sec² and the time estimate is based on that, but their printer is limited to 500mm/sec² and so a print takes a lot longer.  Given that - if you choose to use Gyroid infill then it's all curves and the time error can be a lot because of the constant acceleration setting error due to the numerous short line segments that gyroid requires.

Outer walls are displayed in red lines.  Since your model is showing those walls in yellow then maybe they aren't quite wide enough for your line width setting?  You can drop the line width in Cura (rather than re-designing the model) and see how it looks.  I generally run my 0.4 nozzle at .35 line width.

You didn't mention what version of Cura you are using but in 4.13 I get a view like you have there.  I would suggest you install the 5.0beta version of Cura.  It's really good at single wall models like you have there.  This is your 3mf file sliced in 5.0.  You can see that all the walls are displayed as "outer" walls.

image.thumb.png.0d52714fb1b28ed16142d16cb0eb7941.png

Here it is in 4.13.  Previous versions of Cura were a lot happier when they could put in an even number of walls (like 1 on each side adds up to 2.  3 on each side would be six total walls).  Since your model is 1 line width wide Cura ain't happy so instead of real walls you are getting skin and that causes the 45° pattern you see here and there.  You notice that the outside walls of the box are in red because they were designed wide enough that Cura could put 2 lines side-by-side for an even number.

There are some bugs in the current version of 5.0 beta but I've been using it successfully for a couple of weeks.  You may have to look around here and on Github for updated plugins and so forth.  A lot of work was done on the Cura dialog boxes and that's where most of the bugs are.

image.thumb.png.345634c16bed826e07f4968313774a28.png

Thanks, I'll have a looksie at 5.0

Yes, it's 4.13, and the reason I'm printing with 0.6 wall is speed.   This box does not need to be a beaut; it needs to be light and print quickly.

Actually, I can't work out where to download the 5.0, and I'm a bit time poor to try and learn how to build, so I'll give this one a miss.  Thanks anyway.

You should be able to use THIS LINK to find the download.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura leaving gaps in walls near the line end

So I've tried the new 5.0 beta and it works like a charm, thanks.

I've had some problems with the program crashing and resetting all settings a couple of times, hopefully these will pass.

Thank you, Greg!

I can see the 5.0 is now "available", so I'll download that to continue
    https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura?utm_source=cura&utm_medium=software&utm_campaign=cura-update-download

Edited by widden

The beta went through a pretty good testing with (what seemed like) a broad base of users.  There didn't seem to be much comment from the MAC community but the Linux and Windows versions had a few issues.  I would hope that the large number of testers means the main problems were found and addressed.