Cura 5.0 Linux on Chromebook Won't Open or Save files

Pinto-RS2000

Posted · Cura 5.0 Linux on Chromebook Won't Open or Save files

Help...

I've upgraded from 4.13.1 (which worked faultlessly), to version 5.0.0 the program runs and starts ok! But the open button does nothing! However you can drag and drop a .STL file and it opens it and it slices it fine, however the "save to disc" button (for the GCODE file) again does nothing.. making the program useless.

It's running the ./Filename.AppImage in Linux on a New ASUS Chromebook.

I've tried running the Previous AppImage but that no longer works either.

I've set the file permissions "sudo chmod a+x Filename" and tried "sudo chmod +rwx" still the same issues.

It seems like Cura doesn't know where the default folder. open - save folder is or can't activate the File Dialogue box.

Has anyone got any suggestions or work arounds.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.0 Linux on Chromebook Won't Open or Save files
    On 5/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, Pinto-RS2000 said:stions...

bump, still need help!

Edited by SFROST2287
    Didn’t mean to quote

Newbie here---I tried to work through the online account to see if I could save files on the cloud and pull them down elsewhere, but I can't. Have the exact same issue. Clearly the Linux/Cura/ChromeOS interfaces to not mesh. I'm sure there is a workaround for this issue---just need someone much smarter than I am to help out :)

On 5/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Pinto-RS2000 said:

Help...

I've upgraded from 4.13.1 (which worked faultlessly), to version 5.0.0 the program runs and starts ok! But the open button does nothing! However you can drag and drop a .STL file and it opens it and it slices it fine, however the "save to disc" button (for the GCODE file) again does nothing.. making the program useless.

It's running the ./Filename.AppImage in Linux on a New ASUS Chromebook.

I've tried running the Previous AppImage but that no longer works either.

I've set the file permissions "sudo chmod a+x Filename" and tried "sudo chmod +rwx" still the same issues.

It seems like Cura doesn't know where the default folder. open - save folder is or can't activate the File Dialogue box.

Has anyone got any suggestions or work arounds.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Bump It Still won't work I tried reinstalling it still no joy... 

Can anyone help?

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.0 Linux on Chromebook Won't Open or Save files

UPDATE: I downloaded several of the prior versions, including Beta's to see if one of them would work. Running 4.13.1 works for me. I'm able to click on File> Open and the open dialog box appears. This certainly indicates that there is a bug in 5.0.0.0 that needs fixing.

===================================

Same problem. I have an Acer CB314. The install of Cura 5.0.0 went just fine. The program appears to run in every aspect, except clicking on the Open or File> Open does nothing. No dialog box appears, so I can't load or save anything. Upon starting the program from the Linux command prompt I get the following: 

PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py:495: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib and slated for removal in Python 3.12; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
    qt.qpa.wayland: Ignoring unexpected wl_surface.enter received for output with id: 7 screen name: "Screen5" screen model: "075A" This is most likely a bug in the compositor.
    Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///tmp/.mount_Cura5.aiezrH/share/cura/resources/qml/Actions.qml" and "file:///tmp/.mount_Cura5.aiezrH/share/cura/resources/qml/Actions.qml"
    QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
    qt.qpa.wayland: Ignoring unexpected wl_surface.enter received for output with id: 7 screen name: "Screen5" screen model: "075A" This is most likely a bug in the compositor.

I hope someone can figure this one out and post either a work around that works or a fix for Cura 5.0.0.

Edited by xf021209
    Updated post.

I've installed Cura 5.1.0 and this has the same issues as 5.0.0 can't load files if you drag a file onto it is loads however you cannot save the the sliced file...!  I'm using the latest version of the chrome OS (Version 104.0.5112.83 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and Linux Penguin is up to date.. Any suggestions are welcome

Good News! 

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/12266

Installing xdg-desktop-portal-gtk worked for me!

You must update your Linux to bullseye. And you have install the Linux app store and download cura from there.  It works fine. Don't use the appimage file 

I updated Linux to bullseye ,installed the Linux app store , downloaded cura from there and it works great on my chromebook

On 5/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, SFROST2287 said:

Same issue here. Can’t open or save files. Tried the SD/USB workaround and that didn’t work either.

Make sure you Linux is updated to bullseye , install the Linux app store and download cura from there.  Do not use the appimage file