How do I build Cura?

pablolama

Posted · How do I build Cura?

I am a student and I am doing my Master's Thesis on Ultimaker Cura. In this work we want to test the different types of infill and try to introduce new types.

I'm new in GitHub and I'm a bit confused. To do the work I have tried to follow these steps:

• https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Running-Cura-from-Source-on-Windows, with little success yet.
  • On the other hand, I have found cura-build-environment and I am not sure if it is another valid option.
  • I have also read that to test infills you can program only on CuraEngine.
  • Finally, in the forum I found a topic from 3 years ago (https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/28043-how-do-i-build-cura) and I think it is already outdated.

Could you enlighten me a bit on how to get started?

Posted · How do I build Cura?

If you want to add new infills, you indeed need to add those in Cura Engine. You would only need very little (if any) changes to the frontend of Cura.

We recently had a huge overhaul for our build system as we've had to switch a lot of things around to update certain dependencies. As such there are probably quite a few outdated instructions on the wiki, sorry for that! We are going to work on cleaning these things up.

cura-build-environment is not something that I personally use when building from source. We use this to create base images for buidling our distributables.

As for building things from source, I can strongly recommend you to do this on Linux, as it's so much easier to do it there.