Make overhang printable does not function anymore in Cura 5.0

Key23D

Posted · Make overhang printable does not function anymore in Cura 5.0

In Cura 5.0 "Make Overhang Printable" does add some structure underneath the overhang but not so that it is printable.

I use this feature a lot so please fix this. Thank you!

This is the model:

77033756_Schermafbeelding2022-05-25om17_34_15.thumb.png.b08946ca410f27b4e65319f57ab6b413.png

This is the sliced model. There are some layers added underneath the overhang but not extending back to the model so it is now printing in mid air.

2048071846_Schermafbeelding2022-05-25om17_35_16.thumb.png.8ed633c408949df16c6b2e48f032714c.png

I now tested it in version 5.1 but the result is the same!

Does anyone know if this is looked at by Ultimaker?

I didn't see a bug report on GitHub and I don't know that this is a bug.

Because of the shape of the model, when Cura changes the mesh to add the chamfers to the overhanging feature, the new feature comes to a point that is over air.  That point starts by itself in space and so still requires support.  I get the same results in 4.13.1 as I get with 5.1.0.

I think if you want that feature to print without supports you will need to design a gusset into the model.  "Make Overhangs Printable" can adjust a model for some situations but this would appear to not be one of them and the solution is a change to the CAD model.

Thanks very much for your answer!

It is in the section "experimental" so I understand that it is what it is. So no "bug".

Do you by any chance know of a program that could have the same effect of "make printable" on an stl-file? (not this one) I work with a lot of scanned models that could be printed much easier that way. And then also usable with SLA/DLP type printers.

MS 3D Builder is bundled with Windows.  It's actually pretty good but it is not intuitive.  I usually have to try out 10 things before I get something the way I want it.  It also comes with a repair utility that is pretty good as well.

Other software like Mesh Mixer and Blender claim to be good at modifying STL's but they are even more of a learning curve.  Mostly I print my own designs and so I have the CAD model to alter.  It's a lot easier working with the parametric model than with an STL.

Thank you! I will look at those. When I design my own models I don't have the problem, it is mainly to be able to print scanned objects with some overhang here and there that can be "filled" without optically doing damage.