Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
cips

Stable base

Hello.

I have a question: I would like to know how much is important to have the printer on a very stable base (a table) for the printing quality.

I'm asking because the table where I placed the printer, when the printer head is moving, have a bit of movements on legs. Not so much, but visible. To me, the printer is working fine in any case, but may be it's because I never seen a print with a stable table.

Thanks,

cips

My UM1 use to be on a fold out table, which was both unstable, and uneven.

I used some 15lb weights and some clamps to hold it down and shimmed the bottom with some leather pieces. It just wasn't that great. It was loud and I think it contributed to some ringing in prints. I would recommend a stable flat surface if possible.

I also printed these guys http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:90974%20which%20seems%20to%20dampen%20them%20a%20bit.

My final suggestion regardless of if you switch tables or not is to lower your acceleration setting to 1500. (default 3000) on UM1. This will dramatically reduce the top end shaking and reduce ringing in your prints, and slightly quieter.

(under the tune->motion menu I believe)

Mine worked fine on a shakey table as well, but there is probably a slight increase in surface consistency when I switched to a solid table. (less of those random rings.) but it could also be cura updates.