Z Seam On The Inside

Kotaztrafee

Posted · Z Seam On The Inside

I have an object that is an Arc. So, lets say it is a pipe cut in half lengthwise. No matter what settings I've tried the seam is always on the outside. There is no inside seam since, being an arc, each layer is one line that starts and and stops in only one spot. I would like to move the start point / seam to the inside of the arc. Is this possible?

It depends on the exact part and the orientation within Cura.

Here is a half pipe with the Z-seam set to Right.  The normal situation would be for Cura to put the seam at one of the corners as that is the farthest "right" point on the model.

image.thumb.png.9759b010adf386b839a17b8358a3cbdd.png

This is with Z seam "relative", and the X and Y coordinates manually changed to be the part midpoint which in relative mode is the "0, 0" point.  So the Z seam will locate in the middle of the inner wall.

image.thumb.png.5df7f1b66aa5b6d028c2f8b7c778301b.png

I would think you could do that with your model.  Most models take some playing around to get the seam where you want it.

Generally it takes me until about layer 10 of a print before I figure it out and have to abort.

Senior moments...ya gotta love' 'em.

Thanks for your reply. I started my 7 hour print 10 minutes before I seen your reply. It is still in physical adjustment phase so no big deal. I set the Z Seam Relative and it looks like it moved it inside to a pretty good spot. My object is a bit more complicated than a simple half pipe, sorta like a 3/4 pipe with ramps. I will let you know how the next print turns out. I think it will be very good thank you!

There are a lot of settings.  It takes time to really learn the software and how the settings can affect one another and about all the customization possibilities.  I'm not sure how much time it takes...I just know I'm not there yet.

• Like 1