Cura 5.1 nozzle size

burhop

Posted · Cura 5.1 nozzle size

I've got a non-standard nozzle size.  I can set it for the extruder on the printer and for the material, but the drop down in Cura only lets me pick the same set of values (0.2 to 1.0).  How can I change it to something else (see the drop down below. None of these values match my current nozzle or material.

image.thumb.png.bdaa6aec475f38708ca6d8d6cbd1865c.png

This is for Windows.   I would suppose other versions would be similar.

The Creality machines have nozzles that are "variants".  The nozzle files are in:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0\share\cura\resources\variants

Open the "creality_ender3_0.8.inst.cfg" file in a text editor.

Do a SaveAs using the same naming format but with your nozzle size.  This example is for a 0.15 nozzle.  You will put the new file into:  "...\Users\..........\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.10\variants"

SaveAs:  creality_ender3_0.15.inst.cfg

Then change the "bold" info below to your real numbers:

[general]
    name = 0.15mm Nozzle
    version = 4
    definition = creality_ender3

[metadata]
    setting_version = 19
    type = variant
    hardware_type = nozzle

[values]
    machine_nozzle_size = 0.15

Save the file and then start (or restart) Cura.

I don't know if that is the approved method but it should work and the new nozzle should appear in the drop down list.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hello, thank you for the tutorial, I was finally able to create a nozzle in CURA. I have another question, I have version 5.2.1, when I set up this new nozzle it says NO SUPPORTED even after creating a print profile. How can it be removed? thank you very much

It probably needs a Quality profile.

I run on Windows and my printer is an Creality Ender 3 Pro so as an example:

"C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources\quality\creality\base"

Contains my stock Quality files.  I would open one that is for the material I wish to use and then "Save As" using the same file name convention:

Example for a 5.0 nozzle

"base_0.2_PLA_super.inst.cfg" becomes "base_5.0_PLA_super.inst.cfg" and inside the file the line:

variant = 0.2mm Nozzle

would become

variant = 5.0mm Nozzle

Computers are dumb so you need to get the file naming convention just right or the file will be ignored by Cura.

That may not update when you move to a new Cura version.  I save my custom files like that to a separate folder and then copy them into the new version of Cura BEFORE I run the new version.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.1 nozzle size

Thank you very much, I can't find the kind of information you gave here, or I was looking wrong. It showed me how to work better with the CURA program

Edited by Lubos_H

The Cura Team and the main contributors are some very sharp people.  I think it's terrific that they willingly share their knowledge about Cura.   This forum made things a lot easier when I was starting in on 3D printing as a hobby.