Not saving as gcode?

pishta

Posted · Not saving as gcode?

Cura 5.0.0(AppImage) running on linux Mint 20.3. I can open STL files but when I slice and try to save as a gcode (save as gcode) it saves the file with no suffix, ie. "bug.stl" will slice and <save to disk (USB) as gcode> will generate a file called "bug" with no file type and it will have properties as -Text (text/plain)- and open with text editor

;FLAVOR:Marlin
;TIME:0
;Filament used: 0m
;Layer height: 0.16
;MINX:2.14748e+06
;MINY:2.14748e+06
;MINZ:2.14748e+06
;MAXX:-2.14748e+06
;MAXY:-2.14748e+06
;MAXZ:-2.14748e+06
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 5.0.0
M140 S60

I have other gcode files on this USB and they will show up in the Ender 3 display but it will not show "bug" as it thinkgs its a text file. I have tried to change the name to bug.gcode but that file will not print, the printer will just show question marks in the coordinates. Most of the other gcode files in this USB end up being called "CE3PRO_xxx.gcode" with the CE3PRO being added by the slicing program? IF there is a native linux slicing program that may work better than Cura let me know. 

• 3 months later...

HI, Im not sure if you have managed to solve the issue but i have experienced the same problem. If you rename the file with .gcode suffix it should do the trick

Thats what worked for me but make sure its sliced first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Dan15h and @pishta,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

I think I recognize this issue, I believe it's been reported on our Github here:
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/12659
    We have a ticket on our backlog with the intent to improve this behavior.

Thanks for helping out @Dan15h 💕