How to enable/disable brim per-model / per-mesh

uj3

Posted · How to enable/disable brim per-model / per-mesh

I need to optimize my use of a shared S3.  Basically I'm trying to only begin one print per day, so I need to put everything I want to print on the same plate.  Some objects NEED brims.  Some, would be a real pain to remove a brim.  So I need to know how to remove a brim.  I'm using Cura 4.13.1 right now on Fedora GNU+Linux.  Cura on Windows is available at the printer itself, and i'd rather generate gcode on my PC to bring in on usb stick than use the shared PC.

Would Prusa work to generate this gcode?  it lists ultimaker 2, but not S3.  Does S3 suppot gcode for 2?

Posted (edited) · How to enable/disable brim per-model / per-mesh

You can't do that on Cura.

Cura is very limited compare to PrusaSlicer or SuperSlicer on the  Per Model modification  and in general  on model parameter customisation.  So SuperSlicer (or Prusa ) would be a good choice.

image.thumb.png.cb13d2ea51aa6449f5285c8d2a0e2ca7.png

Edited by Cuq

Hey @uj3,

@Cuq is right, adhesion is not settable in the per object settings.

But I run into your issue on a regular basis. I learned that Brim Distance is a setting that can be set per mesh. If you make the value high enough your brim will not attach to the mesh:
    image.thumb.png.5bddbac6ba6d61c1a38dfe16b1617461.png

You can also decide to start working with Tabs.
    5Axses has a plug-in you can use to add tabs to your models in Cura.
    You can download it here: https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/5axes/TabPlus
    Than your buildplate can look like this
    image.thumb.png.b59beb2483353a1eb9f0a50fb3131e0c.png

I hope this helps! Good luck. 

• 1 year later...
    On 8/29/2022 at 12:09 PM, MariMakes said:

Hey @uj3,

@Cuq is right, adhesion is not settable in the per object settings.

But I run into your issue on a regular basis. I learned that Brim Distance is a setting that can be set per mesh. If you make the value high enough your brim will not attach to the mesh:
    image.thumb.png.5bddbac6ba6d61c1a38dfe16b1617461.png

You can also decide to start working with Tabs.
    5Axses has a plug-in you can use to add tabs to your models in Cura.
    You can download it here: https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/5axes/TabPlus
    Than your buildplate can look like this
    image.thumb.png.b59beb2483353a1eb9f0a50fb3131e0c.png

I hope this helps! Good luck. 

Hi Marimakes

I am trying to do the per model brim distance but no matter what distance I enter in there it is ignored and I get the value entered in the main project file settings.  I am using Cura 5.4.0, any ideas where I am going wrong?  Thanks

Hey @mrender,

The brim distance broke for per model settings broke in Cura 5.3 with the introduction of the dual extrusion brims. 😥
    You can read more about it here. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/14862

It's still something we want to fix, but it's a bit harder than expected. 

• Like 1