"Select face to align to build plate" item in the Rotate menu is missing.

snekmeseht
Go to solution Solved by ahoeben,

Posted · "Select face to align to build plate" item in the Rotate menu is missing.

I just installed Cura 5.2 on my laptop and started loading models and saving gcode. Much to my dismay, the "Select face to align to build plate" item in the Rotate menu is gone, so I had a helluva time getting the parts sitting correctly.

Does anybody have any idea why that option is gone?

2022-10-23 16_22_30-221020 - Half X-Connector, Tee Teline - Ultimaker Cura.png

Posted · "Select face to align to build plate" item in the Rotate menu is missing.

I don't know if it's still the case but I've notice that the minium release was OpenGl 3.2 to have this function.    But a release 4.1 is  recommended as minimal configuration.    To get more information on the current driver of your graphics card on Windows you can use an utility Tool like GlView : https://www.realtech-vr.com/home/glview

If you also use an othe slicer like PrusaSlicer or SuperSlicer in the System Function you can have this information. ( Should be also a function of Cura as many issues comes from this limitation , but it's not the case right now ) 

image.thumb.png.7b20735515fad837d167654b04faf8c8.png

OpenGl 4.0 Should be ok to get an access to this function.

• Solution

Actually you need 4.1 for full functionality (and 2.0 as a bare minimum). Below 4.1 (so including 4.0) will not get you the full layer view nor the face-to-align functionality.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I'll continue to look into upgrading the OpenGL to version 4.1. Until then, I'll just make do.

Depending on your GPU, it may not be possible to "upgrade" OpenGL. The hardware needs to support it. What GPU do you have?

The graphics card is NVIDIA NVS 5400M.

Posted (edited) · "Select face to align to build plate" item in the Rotate menu is missing.
    On 10/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, snekmeseht said:

NVIDIA NVS 5400M.

Unfortunately, that GPU seems to support up to OpenGL 4.0, so you are out of luck for the full functionality with that GPU.

Edit: actually, there's contradicting information. Some sites claim it can do OpenGL 4.3 or even 4.6.

Edited by ahoeben