Print Aborts Early

ShipModeler
Go to solution Solved by ShipModeler,

Posted · Print Aborts Early

All,

I am pretty new to 3D printing. Been doing it for about 6 months now and aside from the normal "learning curve" errors, things have been pretty good. I now have an issue with a print and I don't even know where to start looking for a solution.

I designed a case for a Tap & Die set. When I printed it, the job aborted at 90-95% completion. See image.

The case was designed with Freecad .20. The printer is an Ender 3 Max. And I sliced with Cura 5.0. OS is Windows 11 Pro.

The Cura settings are all right "out of the box" settings except I changed the extraction distance for PLA to 10mm and am printing with 20% infill.

The really odd thing is that when it aborted, it extracted the filament ALL THE WAY OUT. Which is what led me to start here.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for a solution would be greatly appreciated. Cura setting issue? Printer issue? Design issue? (good possiblity).

Since the print takes 24 hours, I'm not eager to just say it was an oops and try again LOL.

Thanks

TD Case.JPG

Hey @ShipModeler,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

There is not a Cura setting that comes to mind when I see your description. 🤔
    And what happends after a printjob is finished is defined in your printers firmware, and not in Cura. 

Did your printjob abort? Could it be a powerfailure?
    Did your printjobs show as finished? Are you sure you have don't clogged printcore? 

• Solution

Hey MariMakes,
        Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure it wasn't Cura. But I think Cura tried to slice the model and the model had some bad geometry and Cura did what it could with it.

It wasn't a clogged hot end as I printed something immediately after but your point in noted. I should have checked that. Had it been clogged, it could have been a real disaster on the next print job.

I had someone with a lot more knowledge than me take a look at my model and was told that there was defintely something strange with it. I redesigned the model and all is well now.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1