How to minimize horizontal support in Cura

michielper

Posted · How to minimize horizontal support in Cura

I am printing a model with a relatively large horizontal part that is some distance from the build plate. When I tell Cura to generate support, it creates a large horizontal continuous support structure. But a much smaller support would be sufficient, I would like cura to leave gaps in the the support structure, it could for instance consist of a series of small columns or triangles instead of a continuous structure. Is something like this possible? How can I reduce the support to what is really necessary?

Thanks for any tips!

If you were to use Support Blockers you could eliminate the support structure under some areas.  Tree supports generally take up less space on the build plate.

It's hard to tell without seeing the model and what you are really trying to do.  A picture is still worth a thousand words.  

Posted (edited) · How to minimize horizontal support in Cura
    1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

If you were to use Support Blockers you could eliminate the support structure under some areas.  Tree supports generally take up less space on the build plate.

It's hard to tell without seeing the model and what you are really trying to do.  A picture is still worth a thousand words.  

Thank you for your response. I include a picture of my model. Of course one way to reduce support is to choose an optimal position of the model on the build plate. But I still would like to reduce the support structure. I looked into tree support, it may help somewhat but Cura still generates a continuous support structure below the horizontal model element. It might have generated a number of trees below it.

kerst2 (Meshed).stl

Edited by michielper
    Included comment on using tree structure.

You are stuck on that one.  The whole thing needs support.  You can set the "Support Density" to 0% but that is about it.

If you are confident that the support rings won't come free of the bed then you could turn off the support brim.

If you really want to get rid of supports then print it as separate pieces except for the main ring.  When you slice the main ring put in a Pause at Height at some point where the loop is open enough so you can drop the other parts onto it and then continue the print.