Jump to content

Extreme stringing/branching with Cura, not happening with a generated Simplify3D gcode


foob

Recommended Posts

Posted · Extreme stringing/branching with Cura, not happening with a generated Simplify3D gcode

Hi. I hope this is the right sub-forum for my question, if not I hope someone can move the post. It's a question related to some generated Cura code in comparison to some Simplify3D code where I am trying to understand the difference.

 

I got a new Anycubic Vyper a week ago and I'm pulling my hair out. I read and tried so much now, but I cant find the problem.


Some data:

* Anycubic Vyper, firmware 2.4.5
* SUNLU White PLA, I also tested a small amount of Anycubic PLA which came with the printer
* Esteps adjusted, bed autoleveled + offset
* Vendor owl.gcode printed ok-ish

 

Printing a temp tower looks unusable. The stringing is really bad. I tested so many different settings and adjustments, I have a whole town of skyscraper towers here.

The strange thing is that the temp tower from https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#temp looks fine! Loading the same .stl in Cura, then replicating 
all settings I could find on this page in Cura and printing it brings back the branching. The gcode on the page was generated by Simplify3D.

 

I compared raw gcode for 2 hours now and compared the gcode files in visualizers to see what is different in the two generated files, but I'm slowly getting crazy.

 

The printer is new, and I'm just before sending it back because I am frightened there is some hardware defect. But then I wonder how the Simplify3D one is doing so well here. Why is there nearly no oozing on this generated gcode and what does Cura do so differently in this case? I noticed that setting combing off (or to 'within infill') makes the result better, but I still have those branches on every layer, more on the higher temps.

 

With a default Cura profile for my printer, 0.2mm LH, 60mm/s speed, my towers look like this (I have more than 20 of them for different settings):

image.thumb.jpeg.2d4df5f2b160c0472c8505df7e953a86.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.66e0a11984b39eaeec7fe35abe6f5943.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9862eb6972e46928b02876498d860962.jpeg

 

Now, when I print the generated gcode from the site I posted above (Simplify3D), it looks like this:

 

image.thumb.png.d61e2abb673cb071c67fad5fc70cef51.png

Their retraction test also look ok (for the lower retraction distances):

image.thumb.png.076794e4178825c5c3bc008543137dac.png

 

I read so much about retraction, oozing, combing, wiping etc. and adjusted settings one by one a lot. I wonder why there is so much I have to adjust to get the temp tower looking ok-ish, I saw so many videos where it just 'worked'. As far as I understood up to now: My filament is oozing, maybe because the printer has some problem or the PLA is bad? Then Simplify3D is able to compensate this, but Cura is with my current settings not? Does this theory make sense? Or what did I mess up in Cura?

 

I uploaded my last settings from Cura which reduced this coral reef looking structures, but did not prevent it. I also attached the generated gcode for the techingtechbyyt if someone is interested (temperature.gcode).

 

I hope someone can enlighten me with some hints, I'm just before giving up 😕

Thanks!

temperature.gcode AV_temperaturetowerv2.3mf AV_temperaturetowerv2.3mf

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 
         
          • Like
        • 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

        This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features
         
        Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...