Cura wants to install every update to its own new folder, can I just use the same installation folder?

FlightRisk

Posted (edited) · Cura wants to install every update to its own new folder, can I just use the same installation folder?

I would really just like to have a "cura" folder and install each update there. Instead, Cura creates folders named by version. My concern is that if I install each version over top of the old one like most programs do, it might overwrite something like a settings file. Can I just rename the folder in the installer from "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1" to just "..\Ultimaker Cura" and then remember to change the folder name in the installer option every time there is an update? Having it in a new folder than having to go and manually delete the old version is a pain. And I'm not sure if deleting an old version has its own problem of deleting something from the version I just installed was using. Using Windows 11.

Edited by FlightRisk
Add detail about just deleting the old version

Posted · Cura wants to install every update to its own new folder, can I just use the same installation folder?

Hey @FlightRisk

You are not the first one to struggle with this. 

It's actually quite common for Cura users to have multiple versions of Cura installed at the same time to compare results. We removed the uninstalling during the installing flow in Cura 5.0 , because it confused users, but not having it all is also confusing. 

We are working on a solution to make the decision more clear so it's easier to make. 

Untill a solution is in place, you can manually uninstall your previous version of Cura with the uninstalling executable in your Cura version folder. 

image.thumb.png.831dacf25eef9953fccc1c85151223ac.png

If you go through the flow. If you do this after you installed the new verison, your printers and profiles should be upgraded and available in the new version. If you are worried about losing them I suggest you make a back-up before upgrading.

Hope this helps 😅