Prime tower feature request

dogmooz
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Prime tower feature request

Seems on many tall IDEX prints where I use a prime tower it eventually seperates and fails.   Not sure how to fix that aside from perhaps an option to put 2 lines 90 deg apart inside the tower to help stabilize it.  It would use more filament but so does a messed up print 12 hours or more in 😕  I suspect I could get away with a narrower prime tower if it had some support inside it which may offset the extra filament needed.

On a side note I really like 5.2.1, been working great.

Thanks

• Solution

It fails with the "Prime Tower Brim" enabled?  That's a substantial brim that should have 100% coverage on the inside and be about 8mm wide on the outside of the tower.  It can be made larger by increasing the size of the tower.

The image below shows the Prime Tower Size at 30mm and that's about a 46mm circle of plastic in contact with the build plate.

Have you noticed if your nozzle is whacking the tower when it moves over to it?  There is a setting for "Zhop after extruder switch height" that can be set separately from the regular Zhop height setting.

image.thumb.png.0ec892e4fa4cc37acbe33efaa110e01f.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I use a tower brim, I did not realize there is a zhop on extruder switch though.  I will give that a go but mostly it gets bumped when a layer in it seperates as it gets on the tall side.  I'm guessing that happens because it's cooler as it gets taller.  That's why I asked about some kind of option to sure it up some.

• 7 months later...

Support Brim and Prime Tower Brim appear to be defined as "Build Plate Adhesion".  If you have "Build Plate Adhesion Type" set to "None" you won't get those brims.  If you set the "Build Plate Adhesion Type" to anything other than "None" everything works.

The behavior has been documented on GitHub in a couple of bug reports.

Well then "Prime Tower Brim" should be grayed out when Built Plate Adhesion is set to "None". Because if it's enabled and doesn't work, that's still definitely a bug. But I would prefer that "Prime Tower Brim" actually worked when adhesion is set to "None", because that's a super common need and having to print a skirt is a silly and wasteful workaround. 

Yes.  As I said, it's a bug and it has been properly reported on Github.