Overlap settings/cutting holes

Filipino82
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Overlap settings/cutting holes

Hi,
I am sorry, I saw something like this posted a few times but just couldn't find a solution. Some places also lead me to think that this might be a bug? It used to work in the previous versions at least.

I cannot manage to cut holes in prints using added volumes in Cura.
Specifically - I cannot manage to get rid of the walls and top/bottom layers inside the intersection of the two volumes.
I just want to make a part of the print either a hole or infill only with no top/bottom.
image.thumb.png.aeee1270ba4a9f6853820431936321d7.png

Hey @Filipino82,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

I haven't seen any reports of the mesh modifiers not working in the latest version of Cura... 

So I think we might be able to help you solve it. 

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Here it is, with another model. Let's say I just want to do the basic task of this cube acting as negative volume. Or as infill only (no walls or top/bottom). It must be some settings being wrong.. although it doesn't even work in default profiles so I came here. 
    In this configuration as in the screenshot, it literally just prints the duck whole, doesnt care about any overlaps.
    image.thumb.png.82b87e2a9927bd7216f66b76d5914fb0.png

PETG_Goose_full_4_08.3mf

• Solution

You have the blocker set as an "Infill Mesh".

Here the left model is from your project (I altered the Infill Density to highlight it's effect).  I have altered the right model so the blocker is a "Cutting Mesh".  The Cutting Mesh settings are No Walls, No Tops, No Bottoms, and Infill Density = 0.

You can see that the right model has walls and floors in the cut-away section.  Those are settings of the model.  If you wanted to do something like have no walls in that area (so the infill is exposed) that can't really be done.  

image.thumb.png.04083f9f16463cfa0ce8c20e1ee9f9f0.png

So your block in the phone protector project needs to be changed to a Cutting Mesh.

image.thumb.png.15a8fd767b79cc5151566c188cbbaf56.png

• Like 1

Oooh it works! I swear I thought I had tried what you told me before as well.. well, I probably haven't. Oh well, it works now, perfect.
    The last thing you said though - to expose the infill, it can actually be done, look. Exactly what I wanted. I wanted to make this mesh panel. I'm glad I can stay in Cura for this, started thinking that only Prusa can do it. Nice.
    Thank you so much, it's a lot of support and pretty quick one too, didn't expect it 😄 Awesome. Have a nice day.

image.thumb.png.64aff6fc15f536489fdf60fa773d49a8.png

• Like 2
    • Heart 1

Yes, you can do it that way.  What you see there is the blocker infill.  There are walls around that area.

This is with the infill line-type turned off:

image.thumb.png.bf74f74a9b14dbf3757c26d0710a9b31.png

This is with the infill line-type turned on.  You see the infill of the bird is not exposed, just the blocker infill.  There is no true hole into the interior of the bird.  This bird has enough problems without adding more holes.

image.thumb.png.43565712577ad00e750b95505c4bc1a6.png