How to stop hot end from crashing into bed at end of print, and maybe a reversed axis??

chrismay

Posted · How to stop hot end from crashing into bed at end of print, and maybe a reversed axis??

Hello,

Relative newb here. Have had some success. Using Cura 5.2.1 with an Ender 3 V2 Neo and Octoprint 1.8.6.

When printing through Octoprint, at end of print, bed is moved full forward, tool moves to left corner and then print head drops direct to bed.

When printing from SD Card, at end of print, bed is moved full back, tool moves to left corner and then print head drops direct to bed.

How can I "park" the head above the bed at the end?  Is the Y-axis reversed somehow by Octoprint?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Posted · How to stop hot end from crashing into bed at end of print, and maybe a reversed axis??

In Cura go to "Manage Printers" and then "Machine Settings".  In the "Ending Gcode" window will be the end of print commands.  I don't know how you have configured Octoprint but generally it's the Ending Gcode that finishes up a print.

I have seen some printer definitions that include a G28 line in the Ending Gcode.  That's a bad idea as it will drop the head.

Post a Gcode file that shows the problem.  The "drop the head" move will either be in the Ending Gcode or there may be some sort of configuration in Octoprint (which I have no experience with).

I've pasted in the ending code below from Cura. There seems to be no additional ending code from Octoprint from what I can tell.  It has a similar option for ending code which is currently blank.  The head dropping persists even when taking Octoprint out of the equation (ie. sneaker net using SD card) albeit in different spots as outlined in my original post.  If Cura is ruled out I'll move to troubleshooting Octoprint next I suppose.

I've attached two g-code files based on the same model. One printed direct via SD Card and one printed via Octoprint.  Both were created in Cura without any changes in between.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

G91 ;Relative positioning

G1 E-2 F2700 ;Retract a bit

G1 E-2 Z0.2 F2400 ;Retract and raise Z

G1 X5 Y5 F3000 ;Wipe out

G1 Z10 ;Raise Z more

G90 ;Absolute positioning

G1 X0 Y{machine_depth} ;Present print

M106 S0 ;Turn-off fan

M104 S0 ;Turn-off hotend

M140 S0 ;Turn-off bed

M84 X Y E ;Disable all steppers but Z

CE3E3V2_DanaFrame_Stack_direct.gcode CE3E3V2_DanaFrame_Stack_Octo.gcode

That's the stock Ending Gcode for an Ender 3 and the ends of both Gcode files are identical.  I don't see any issues there (in fact it looks much like my own ending gcode for my E3Pro).

At the end of the print the G91 command makes the follow-up Z0.2 and Z10 relative so those are upward moves.  The M84 line is missing the Z parameter so the print head should not drift down by itself.

It looks like somehow, someway the problem is coming from Octoprint.  If there is an ending sequence that Octoprint is adding, make sure it has a G91 line prior to any Z moves and that the Z moves are small.