Firmware Customization help me for SKR Mini E3 v.3 on Ender 3

Posted · Firmware Customization help me for SKR Mini E3 v.3 on Ender 3

I have an Ender 3 with an aftermarket board a SKR running the software that came installed on it Marlin bugfix 2.0. Works sufficiently well from my experience however I don't know if there are newer versions that can perform better. If there are I'd like to reflash and or recompile my own. I've never done that before. I think that compiling is (compiling commands/editing of software for customization through execution of compiled code)? Example when printing my screen tells me the bed is cooling when it isn't. That would be an example of a (bug) that was not in fact fixed or what would that be considered? By editing the printers firmware and recompiling I could get the printer to quit saying the bed is cooling erroneously? If I can do that I could also compile into the firmware commands to not start hotend cooling fan until heating, the bed and hotend to simultaneously ramp heating or command the bed/hotend heating to ramp up faster? Add in custom start and end sequence for the printing execution? If anyone could walk me through understanding this so I could do it for my printer that would be great. I will be researching simultaneously to waiting on response as well.

Posted (edited) · Firmware Customization help me for SKR Mini E3 v.3 on Ender 3

Playing with the firmware is a long slippery slope.  There are numerous posts on the Ender 3 board on Reddit regarding botched firmware "upgrades".  That would be a better place to start though.  This board is pretty UM specific when it comes to the hardware side.

If you have a specific idea regarding commands that your firmware doesn't currently support and that you think you would find useful then you can try compiling your own firmware.  You have a fixed amount of memory available on the board and every added function will eat away at that memory.  You will get to a point where the firmware won't fit into the board do to memory constraints.  You need a good idea of what functions will fit, and what might have to be disabled so something you want can be enabled.  I run a stock Creality 1.1.5 8bit board with Marlin 1.8 and the machine prints really well.  M0, M600, and G2/G3 are all enabled so I can use Pause at Height, change filament, or use Arc Welder with no problem.

Have you tried changing the thermistor on the bed?  It's the only control there is for the bed temperature.  It tells the thermostat on the board whether to turn the bed on or off.  The LCD display should just be reflecting what it's told.

There is a firmware option in Marlin that will not turn the Hot End fan on until it hits 50°.  You would need to recompile to enable it.

"Start and End sequence" commands are in your StartUp and Ending gcodes in Cura.  There is no need to recompile to change them.  That includes the heating order of the bed and hot end.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Firmware Customization help me for SKR Mini E3 v.3 on Ender 3

After I posted I watched a YouTube tutorial and found that what I had assumed was correct and understanding what you're saying there in spirit. For example I would like to disable print recovery feature/power outage recovery. Doing that wouldn't necessarily free space on the board ram memory but should prolong the life of my SD card. (If I understand correctly) also would like to enable (if they aren't already) the same features you mentioned that you have. Pause at height and Arc Can Command. I have a decent enough confirmation of my understanding of this to move forward.