Slicer Development ideas and Hardware Ideas

displaynamenotallowed

Posted (edited) · Slicer Development ideas and Hardware Ideas

I believe I have numerous viable concepts for Slicer functionality and one I think really cool idea for a new type of hotend that I would like feedback on and or to see development of. I'm of a mind that I'm totally willing to share my ideas as long as I can personally use/benefit from them at least. I'm limited in my ability to fund efforts in bringing such to market and would essentially rely on fairness/informal intellectual property acknowledgement to see benefit from my ideas. As I mentioned I'm cool with sharing and with feedback to the effects "that's not possible" or "it's possible but not worth the effort" but I don't want to see an idea I offer get taken and ran away with to a company like Stratasys or MarkForged (not saying they're bad just unaffordable for me) or other company and not get paid or compensated decently and be looking on at a piece of hardware or software that I couldn't afford to purchase and be saying "that was my idea". 

My question is what is a good way to/place discuss such (what I think could be "game changer" ideas) Should I say speak directly with Cura and Devs or Prusa and Devs with software ideas? Should I be contacting a company like E3D or Micro Swiss with hotend concept? The hotend concept I could prototype myself but would require at least some additional slicer software/firmware integration. Thanks in advance for any good suggestions Ultimaker Community.

Edited by displaynamenotallowed

If you don't want others to walk away with your ideas, I would discuss them in the open. That way you have prove that it was your idea in the first place. If you talk directly with devs, how are you going to prove that you had that conversation? A place that is more neutral, and more focused on open source is for example https://reddit.com/r/reprap

Having said that, having an idea is infinitely more easy than making it happen. A lot of work needs to be done to make your idea come true, and your idea is probably going to be a small part of a final product that you can use. Chances are someone will have had your gamechanger idea already, but decided it was infeasible to implement it. You "own" your thoughts, but the fact that you have an idea does not mean you are the only owner of thoughts to that idea.

Edited by ahoeben

I understand the concept of "The Hundredth Monkey" I mentioned that I don't mind someone saying that a thing isn't feasible but them saying that or not pursuing such on they're own isn't me. To say a "lot" of work is needed to bring an idea into physical form is subjective. What exactly is a "lot of work" and saying the idea is only a small part of the outcome is also relative. The physical form of a man made item is essentially impossible without the concept of that item. The idea and work necessary for making that idea physical are equally important, such are interdependent. With that "said" thank you for the recommendation for discussion in a public forum. I mean I suppose that could make sense. Maybe strangely however I am a member of a sub reddit for 3d printing and for (I don't know what reason) have no indication that it is possible for me to post there.

Edited by displaynamenotallowed