Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
r4ix

relation between extruded filament diameter and nozzle hole diameter?

Hi!

Looking for a faster and strong prints woth abs on an UM original recently i've drilled one 0.4 original nozzle (i had two) with an 0.7 bit (in fact it was 0.68).

The fact is that i don't know exactly the hole diameter cause i can not measure exactly with my caliper but i supposed is something between 0.70 and 0.76.

I wonder if there is any relationship between the diameter of the extruded filament and the hole of the nozzle.

I remember i read somewhere a 0.35 nozzle extrudes 0.41mm filament or something like that.

Does anybody know if a exist a relation table so i can estimate the drilled hole diameter measuring only the extruded filament diameter?

Thanks

It doesn't really matter. An approximate width should be good enough. If you specify a wider width than your actual nozzle, the extra plastic will just get squished out a bit more under the flat nozzle tip. If you specify less, it won't quite fill the opening always. Either way, if you're within a few percent, it's unlikely to make much difference. Cura itself changes the logical nozzle width setting as needed to make sure the shell thickness is an exact multiple of the logical nozzle width - and then over- or under-extrudes accordingly.

Are you sure you want an infill overlap of 40%? That only measures the overlap of the center point of the infill line ends over the shell loops. Even at 15%, the infill lines can project through the walls for some geometries.