Neither "Pause at Height" or "Filament Change" work on my Ender 3

johnnieq
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Neither "Pause at Height" or "Filament Change" work on my Ender 3

As the title says, I cannot get "Pause at Height" or "Filament Change" to work on my Ender 3 v1.

"Filament Change" does nothing for me. :(

"Pause at Height" does nothing either, unless I modify the gcode and replace the M0 entries to M25. Then it will stop printing, and move the print head out of the way for only a few seconds. I have no time to change the filament. Is there a setting I am missing? Is there a gcode command that will make it pause a set amount of time? or one that requires an action from me to restart?

I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

My Printer is a Creality Ender 3. I believe it is a version 1. The motherboard says 4.2.2  and the chip is a STM32F103RCT6.

• Solution

When Creality first went to the 4.2.x mainboards they were OK.  Then they changed to the newer TFT type LCD displays.  The firmware of the display didn't play nice with the firmware of the mainboard.  As a consequence, no commands that send messages to the LCD work on those printers.  That includes M0, M1, M117, M600 and a couple of others.

If you follow the link below there is a workaround that uses Search and Replace to add several gcode lines that can get M25 to work.

Another workaround is to use the "Gcode after pause" box in Pause at Height to add "G4 S300" (where "S" is in seconds) to pause the print.  The down side is that G4 is a timed pause and if you make it too long, you can't shorten it.  If you make it too short then the print can resume in the middle of changing colors.  You also need to be standing there when the pause occurs.

I'm attaching a gcode file that is a pausing test.  Open it in a text editor and you'll see that I've commented out a couple of different types of pause commands. 

;
    ;G4 S60
    ;M0
    ;M25
    M0 S60; Do the actual pause
    ;

By adding or removing semi-colons from the front of the lines maybe you will find something that works.

There are no heating commands or extrusions in the file.  The nozzle just runs around at a height of 10mm and then is supposed to pause.

There is a more involved workaround in THIS THREAD.

GV Pause Test.gcode

• Like 2

GregValiant

Your 1st suggestion to try using the "Gcode after pause" box in Pause at Height worked fine. I never had to go any further to try the others.

Thanks! 

• Like 1