odd behavior of settings vs preferences menu to change zoom

kayakbabe

Posted · odd behavior of settings vs preferences menu to change zoom

I was a little frustrated today. I'd installed Cura 5.2.2 finally. And the default settings kicked in because I didn't allow it to copy from my Cura 5.1

I kept going to the menu item Settings then General and changing my zoom to follow the mouse. But it wouldn't stick.

After fiddling around, I tried the Preferences and then General and changing the zoom settings. Bingo! That worked.

I do not understand why there are to top menu items Settings and Preferences that show the exact same stuff.

It's a little confusing  to me. The only difference is when you use "settings" at the top level, you can't change a few things. But when you use "preferences" then you can. 

Kelly

Posted · odd behavior of settings vs preferences menu to change zoom

Hey @kayakbabe,

Are you referring to Zoom Towards Mouse Direction? 
    That's a setting that lives in General Preferences that you see when you Configure Cura because it has to do with how you interact with Cura. 
    image.thumb.png.1a929cdba13c95f4fb88a1d489541a8b.png

Or are you referring to settings visibility? Because those are different depending on the type of printjob you are trying to print and the intent of your printjob. 

image.thumb.png.ab0d3976d91b7e39e2c54d5ce13ac1b2.png

I'm sorry to hear you lost your preferences. 
    If you are worried it happens again you can make a backup of your settings in Cura. 
    You can find it under Extensions | Cura Back-ups | Manage Back-ups. 

Hope this helps 😇