Defined three extruders for my printer

BVD

Posted · Defined three extruders for my printer

I defined three extruders (T0, T1 and T2) for my printer in Cura 5.2.2. I Have two physical extruder motors, with two different colors of filament and one nozzle. What I want is as follows;
image.thumb.png.c101f352b7fad14653578c6bac8d7aa3.png

I have different settings for 1,2 and 3. Now I want to set Build plate adhesion for 1 to extruder 1, which is ok. But at the same time for 2 build plate adhesion is also set to extruder 1 as is for 3, while I want to have extruder two virtual blue and extruder 3 for virtual yellow. All other settings for extruders are on  "not overriden".

Question is it possible to set Build Plate adhesion for 1 (virtual black) to extruder 1, for 2 (virtual blue) to extruder 2 and for 3 (virtual yellow) to extruder 3. If so I can select just one of the three possibilities which I need without change the right extruder. image.thumb.png.c101f352b7fad14653578c6bac8d7aa3.png

Nope.

From the base printer definition file "fdmprinter.def.json":

"adhesion_type":
                        "label": "Build Plate Adhesion Type",

"settable_per_extruder": false

I guess I can see what you want.  If you have 3 different custom profiles that were identical to each other except for the Bed Adhesion extruder then that would be about the same thing.  It's one mouse click to set it, but that's what you have now.

Thanks, each profile have slightly different settings like e.g a higher fill percentage. I did find the file,  I suppose that I have to set the "settable_per_extruder": false to  true, to become active.

A very interesting file, I did also see that you can set sharing a nozzle. I have a heatblock with two feeds for filament and one nozzle. Does it mean that I have to set sharing nozzle to true when I want to mix two colors?

Posted (edited) · Defined three extruders for my printer

If you haven't done so, load the Printer Settings plugin from the MarketPlace.  When you restart Cura it will be down at the bottom below Experimental.

Within it are "Extruders share heater" and "Extruders share nozzle".  For your printer enable both of them.  They will both be true all the time.  I don't think they affect your color merging ratios, just whether or not to use the standby temperature at a tool change (bad idea on your printer).

You really shouldn't fool with the fdmprinter file.  Just because you set something doesn't mean there is any support code behind it.  It's an easy file to break.

Consider - all those settings were thought about and implemented in a certain way.  Fdmprinter.def.json tells you a lot, but you should listen rather than talk.

Edited by GregValiant

Ok, thanks this helps a lot.

Just loaded the Printer Settings plugin from the MarketPlace and I see the settings. This looks more friendly. Now I can really start experimenting. Keep you informed about the results, it will take some time.

My question has been answered and the subject is closed now,

Until the next 3-in-one-out owner shows up.

• Like 1