Modifier Wall Count - Am I doing this wrong?

ssashton
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Modifier Wall Count - Am I doing this wrong?

I want to have 2 walls in most of the model, except where the geometry modifier is I want only 1 wall.

However, the behaviour I see is the number of walls listed in the modifier is 'added extra'. So if I globally set 2 walls and 1 wall in the modifier, I get 3 walls where the modifier overlaps.

Am I doing this wrong?

image.thumb.png.3b802afd292fd1e32c5b6b15e950bfc6.png

I get 1 wall extra, but I wanted ONLY 1 wall.

image.thumb.png.83be018e7c6df7d4963b3712ff4930ab.png

• Solution
    Posted · Modifier Wall Count - Am I doing this wrong?

It's so simple and so complicated.  The block has properties and the model has properties.  An "Infill Mesh" will interact with a model and change certain things, and as a "Cutting Mesh" the same block will interact with the real model in a different way.

Here is a little Cutting Mesh in the bigger model.  The cutter is set to single wall,  If you look closely you will see that the small block does indeed have a single wall but the portion of the real model that it has cut still has it's 3 walls - they go around the little block.  A problem is that the little block will leave scars on the exterior of the model as it is "cutting" the model and so what it is really doing is leaving a pocket in the model.  So that pocket has 4 walls - 3 of the regular model and one wall from the cutting mesh.

It's the scar on the exterior that I don't like.

image.thumb.png.2e814aed1ebf983c725169bd3728f527.png

image.thumb.png.ba84c07eb988301ed7d781aee861e8a6.png

I'm a firm believer that the slicer should be excellent at slicing the model I give it.  If I want the model to be different, I give it a different model.  Cura is an excellent slicer, but it will never replace a CAD program.  My advice therefore is to alter your model so that area only has a single wall, or you will need to live with some of vagaries of trying to modify a model in a slicing app.  It can be done...but it's complicated.