PVA Removal Station

MPestana
Go to solution Solved by tomnagel,

Posted · PVA Removal Station

Hi 

Does anyone has experience with PVA removal station, does it make a difference?  I am thinking of purchasing for the company I work for, but like to have some reviews on it, and didn´t find any on the web

thank you

• Like 1

I am biased because I work for Ultimaker, but I can say I find the PVA removal station a joy to use. It just fixes the hassle that PVA gives. It features a basket with a lid on top that makes sure the part is submerged in water (most part float), you can lock the part in the basket so that it doesn't spin with the water, and PVA removal goes 3-4 times faster than in still water. 

The water bucket sits on a base station, adn can easily be carried to a sink to empty and refill.

It's all not rocket science, but the product really is a joy to use.

• Like 1

I am lucky to have a sink in the work area. I picked up a basic aquarium power head (pump) and tank heater. Makes a huge difference in the time. I created a basket with laser cut acrylic, since I have access to lasers. If I did not, I would 3d print a cage with magnets on the bottom to keep it in place. I was surprised how much the cleaning time was reduced once I added the water heater. 

6 hours ago, tomnagel said:

I am biased because I work for Ultimaker, but I can say I find the PVA removal station a joy to use. It just fixes the hassle that PVA gives. It features a basket with a lid on top that makes sure the part is submerged in water (most part float), you can lock the part in the basket so that it doesn't spin with the water, and PVA removal goes 3-4 times faster than in still water. 

The water bucket sits on a base station, adn can easily be carried to a sink to empty and refill.

It's all not rocket science, but the product really is a joy to use.

Thank you, would any type of heating the water improve? Regards

• Solution

Temperature helps a lot for sure. The drawback is that for PLA (which is most used in combination with PVA) deformations start to occur from 35C onwards. So we decided against it. 
    3-4x speed increase at room temp is already great improvement. 

On 2/24/2023 at 1:27 PM, tomnagel said:

Temperature helps a lot for sure. The drawback is that for PLA (which is most used in combination with PVA) deformations start to occur from 35C onwards. So we decided against it. 
    3-4x speed increase at room temp is already great improvement. 

That is why I went with a 100 watt aquarium heater that has a max temp of 88F (31.1C). I actually have it around 82F I believe. Since I run 5 lasers and air filter units in this room, I run the AC even during the winter. Water sitting in a sink or other container will end up in the low 70s for a temp....but usually comes out of the faucet colder then that.

I have this but UM missed the boat on it.  It needs to have an optional heating ability, especially at that price.  Many of us use water soluble support filaments with high end filaments such as PETG, ABS, PC, etc., and these support filaments dissolve much more rapidly in warm water.  If I had known it wasn't heated, I wouldn't have purchased it.