Upgrade to 8.1.0 Causing Not to level bed

dsp
Go to solution Solved by dsp,

Posted · Upgrade to 8.1.0 Causing Not to level bed

I need some help here, I just upgraded the firmware to 8.1.0 and it is giving me a printer that is a nice paper weight but can't print anything.

when starting a print the printer heats up as normal, but when it comes to leveling the bed it fails.

The bed remains about 3cm below the printhead when trying to level.

Does anyone has a quickfix to this?

Oke small update, 

After calibrating lift switch no change,

When trying to manual level button was greyed out.

Rebooted printer.

when trying to start print got ER999 with a reboot option so rebooted.

After the last reboot I could manual level.

Started print after manual level and it seams to work again.

let keep our fingers crossed

Oh by the way its an S5 with air manager.

Update: when starting a new print had the same error again.

did a manual leveling again and restarted the print without issues

This is not why we have automatic leveling right?

It feels a bit like I have to tell my printer where the glass plate is every single print.

Thank you for providing the log file. We've studied it, and see it is an occurrence of a bug that we already identified recently. It will be patched in 8.1.1 that we intend to release within 2 weeks.

Workaround is: after booting up the printer, wait 30 seconds before starting a printjob (from USB, or a XY calibration from the printer itself, because that is also a printjob)

• Like 2

@tomnagel

Thanks for the update, Why is this active leveling such an issue with the latest firmware's ?

Are you changing the leveling procedure?

Last print was without rebooting, so it should have worked, if I understand your message correct.

Printer was finished 3hours in advance just waiting for a build plate being cleared.

Cleared the build plate, changed material and walked to PC (Oh wait there is the coffee machine) arrive at pc total about 5min later then start new printjob and leveling error.

I print over the network, does the behavior differ if you print through USB? 

Or is this because I was to fast after reboot with my first print job and it keeps in that modus? no mater how many prints and hours we are later.

Posted (edited) · Upgrade to 8.1.0 Causing Not to level bed

The issue that we see in your logfile has nothing to do with active leveling, but may have occurred during active leveling.

The log you provided span the following period:

-- Logs begin at Thu 2023-02-23 09:29:35 UTC, end at Fri 2023-02-24 07:25:09 UTC. --

You say "last print was without rebooting". That print was not included in the timespan of your logging then? I have seen only 1 error in your log. I'll have a look again if you provide logs from that 2nd error please.

Edited by tomnagel
    typo

Started a new print this morning no error, 

If I have a new error I will post the log file for now let's keep our fingers crossed

• Like 2

@tomnagel

Sadly the error has returned, Log file attached

Trying manual level again, but no luck after the first try,

Rebooting now, manual level and see what it does.

logs-ultimakersystem-ccbdd3006411-8.1.0-20230301085232.zip

We've taken a look at your log files again. It contained data from more than 100 probes. Most of them are fine, but just a few are not. 

image.thumb.png.becb9e54fc93bcf77b986b82ac2a231a.png

Even without any knowledge on what these signals mean, it's easy to identify the outliers. All the lines which are "noise free" are good, and the 4 noisy lines are bad. 

I have no explanation for this, I don't think we've seen this failure mode internally. My advice is to check the wiring inside the printhead (especially the wires towards the small bottom sensor pcb, maybe these are damaged and short to the frame) or else to replace the printhead pcb (the larger pcb that sits vertically in the print head, not the bottom pcb)

You can always create a support ticket on our website, so that customer support will help you further.

But we got the error direct after upgrading the firmware and never before, so how can this be wire or PCB related?

That would be to much of a coincidence in my book. 

Also can you explain what sort of diagram we are looking at what is the 5000 for instance? 

and does the log file state what the sensors the 4 noisy lines are?

On an other note is there a simple way to go back to firmware 7.13 to see if the issue is still there 

by the way we have the S5R1 

The graph I was showing gives the signal from the capacitive sensor (Y-axis) vs the bed position (X-axis). When the bed is getting closer to the print head, the signal goes up with 1/x. When the bed hits the nozzle, the signal changes direction in the graph. The software looks for the inflection point in the graph.

You have a clear intermittent problem in your capacitive sensor signal, I'm quite sure that is not influenced by software. 

When working on the software for the S7 (which has an inductive sensor), some of the code was refactored. It is possible that the old code did not trigger this error, or that this error is newly added to the software. 

Either we *are*  looking at a coincidence, or you must have had situations that the found bed height was incorrect in some positions but this was not flagged as an error. The consequence of the latter is that around those failed probe points, the nozzle prints either too high or too low.

You are able to downgrade to 7.1.3, but this can only be done via the software recovery method described here.
    Unfortunately this means you have to contact support, because they want to point out safety hazard to you.

nope We would have seen that in the prints. first layer would 

bed is level but I will try the new 8.1.1 first and if that doesn't work I Will contact support to revert back to 7.1.13 

Thanks for the time Tom

The sensor data you see in the graph by Tom is pure raw sensor data from your printer.

That sensor data doesn't change from firmware to firmware.

The data from your printer shows that there is an issue in the electronics sometimes, though most of the times it performs well.

Perhaps there is a difference between 7.1.3 and 8.x that causes the printer to raise an error sooner, I don't think so but I could be wrong. Regardless your printer will need servicing if the sensor is doing that.

• Like 2

• Solution

For now it seams the update worked 

I'm printing the second print in a row without an error.

also I went in to the maintenance menu and checked the noise level but it was at 2.47.

This shouldn't trigger any error.

I fully understand that the data that the sensor is sending out isn't affected by the firmware, but the way it is interpreted is.

for now it seams that upgrading to 8.1.1 worked let hope it stays that way.

Update, Since update to 8.1.1 no more errors, No other changes were made.

5 prints started, without issues.

Seams the firmware was the issue and not the sensors.

• Heart 1

Thanks for the update! Happy to hear your issues have been resolved.

Jos