Ultimaker S5 stuck with ER998 after updating firmware to 8.1.0

muraterciyas

Posted · Ultimaker S5 stuck with ER998 after updating firmware to 8.1.0

Dear All,

Our Ultimaker S5 (R1), is not responding after installing firmware 8.1.0. On 21st of February after completing a print, The printer asked to upgrade the firmware to 8.1.0. I clicked yes, after installing the firmware the printer rebooted and I see the ER998 message on screen. I have been trying to reinstall firmware with the USB right after restarting the printer but after 10 seconds I do get the same error message, I did try turning off/on, I did try unplugging power+network through the night, I did file a case to Ultimaker support. I did try to find a solution through the web. As a result I can not use S5 Printer, I can not connect to the printer, when I restart the printer for 10 seconds I can see normal menu but then getting the same message.

Am I the only one having this problem? Can anyone help me.

Thank you very much, 

Murat

S5-ER998.jpg

Hi Murat,
    Sorry to hear you are having issues with your update.

With that said...
    ER998 usually is the result of having miss matched feeders on your machine.. or a communication issue with one of them (loose or damaged cable generally..) It is very odd you got that error after a update and not before..
    What version were you on before the update?

Support will usually require your machine log files to diagnose this issue properly 
    https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337561393

Dear Dustin,

Thank you very much. I am always keeping my Ultimaker firmwares up to date, when ever it asks me to upgrade I do say yes. I always take care of the printers, keep them clean and complete maintenance tasks. I am sharing the log files, if it is okay with you.

Looking forward to get your guidance. 

Best regards

Murat

16 hours ago, muraterciyas said:

Dear Dustin,

Thank you very much. I am always keeping my Ultimaker firmwares up to date, when ever it asks me to upgrade I do say yes. I always take care of the printers, keep them clean and complete maintenance tasks. I am sharing the log files, if it is okay with you.

Looking forward to get your guidance. 

Best regards

Murat

I removed your attachment, mostly because the zip file appeared to fail to upload (it was corrupted when I downloaded it)

It would be best to send this directly to UltiMaker Support for best response.
    UltiMaker generally does not provide official support via the community forum.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:42 PM, muraterciyas said:

Hi Dustin, I shared with ultimaker official support team. They did not even send me a repply. I believe they don’t care. This is day 5.

Well that's not good!

I have sent you a DM for additional information on this.

Hi Murat, 

I have exactly the same issue on my Ultimaker S5. It's a pretty new one (bought in Dec 2022), so that I can almost rule out a cable break. Before the firmware update everything worked well.

Best regards 

Andreas

3 hours ago, AndreasM said:

Hi Murat, 

I have exactly the same issue on my Ultimaker S5. It's a pretty new one (bought in Dec 2022), so that I can almost rule out a cable break. Before the firmware update everything worked well.

Best regards 

Andreas

Have you contacted Ultimaker Support about your issue?

Hi Dustin, 

Yes I have contacted to Ultimaker tech, and send the printer for service on tuesday, today I called them, hopefully they will ship it back next monday, but I dont know what was rong yet.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 stuck with ER998 after updating firmware to 8.1.0

I know this thread is a bit dated but since the Google just brought me here thought I would share my "fix."

After about a year of flawless performance I suddenly got the same error998 with my Ultimaker S5 which had been running firmware 8.1 for awhile. I tried the off/on, full power unplug, unplugging and plugging back in the NFC cable with no joy.

There was a firmware 8.2.2 update which you can push through even with the ER998 screen popping up every 2-20 secs. Unfortunately 8.2.2 didn't solve the problem.

Since it was Sunday and I figured there was no hope of an Ultimaker support response I moved to the "fix." Selecting the "settings" screen, I scrolled to the bottom and did the full machine reset. The good news is that it fixed the problem. The bad news is that you need to redo WiFi connect, machine name...and all the other setup stuff but, hey, I got a working printer.

Edited by Digitalmem
    • Like 2

Dear Digitamem, thank you for sharing this info, in my case it did not work and I had to take my S5 to tech service and paid 100euro to be fixed, but after the fix i am having problem with the auto leveling. The printer is checking the level first with nozzle 1 then 2 after this step it checks all plate first with nozzle 1 but when it comes to nozzle 2 after checking the second or third point it gives error