Calibrating after initial assembly

merlinc

Posted · Calibrating after initial assembly

I've had my Ultimaker for a while now, and I'm struggling with the calibration stage.

When I originally put it together I found that when using the stepper controls via Replicator G, although one axis moved reasonably OK, on the other axis one belt was exceptionally loose, meaning it didn't move at all.

So, I ordered a replacement belt and fitted it - at this point the stepper controls couldn't move either axis. I then carefully recalibrated the axes to make sure they were properly perpendicular but this didn't appear to have any effect.

I've noticed on one axis, that when I run the stepper controls, that if I pull on one of the motor belts a little bit, then the axis moves. However I can't get this tension to occur with any position of the motor. Also, this technique has no effect on the other motor belt at all.

Additionally, in the process of attempting to tighten everything the screws on the "Part C" have started digging into the wood parts of the 4 brushing blocks.

So, are my belts somehow all wrong, have I over/under lubricated it, have I just put it together backwards and upside down?

Any tips or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated - I'd quite like to graduate to a stage where I melt some plastic sometime soon :)

Thanks in advance!

I do know that some experience problems with loose belts, especially near stepper motors. This is a common problem, and can easely be fixed: Push on the stepper motors when tightening the screws. It also prevents people from having "ellipse" objects.

yes the belts are/were annoyingly long in the last batch of UM's I have seen built. But that does not cause the symptoms you describe. Those could be caused by pulleys that are loose or the small belts being too loose. Do not forget the washers under the screws for the motor and put quite some down force on the motor when you tighten them.

Read and follow the building instructions, that is the best advise to follow! Doing the geek thing and thinking you can do it without the manual will only hurt your pride.