Why is my printer printing a little hat?

macmcintire
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Why is my printer printing a little hat?

Ok, I'm sure this is very well known but I don't know why my printer started to add this little hat to my print jobs. When I import the STL file, this little hat is added to the print file and I cannot delete it from the print job. 

Can someone explain its purpose and how to turn this setting off?

Screenshot 2023-02-24 180014.jpg

• Like 1

• Solution
Posted · Why is my printer printing a little hat?

It's called a prime tower.  I recommend you don't disable it.  Everytime the printer switches to the other printcore, on the way back to printing, it stops at the prime tower and extrudes a bit to "prime the pump" as they say.

You can print without the tower but quality will go down a bit.  There will be a little stringy sausage bit attached to one of those 3 parts - one sausage on each layer where it changed printcores.

The tower stops when the support material stops.

Or you could use the primary printcore to make the support and then the prime tower will not be printed at all.

• Like 1