8.1.1 - ER48 internal power supply failed

irisammerlaan

Posted · 8.1.1 - ER48 internal power supply failed

Hi,

Last week I updatet my S3 for 8.1.1 and then I kept getting the error ER48 - internal power supply failed. For example when loading material, the feeder starts and after 5 sec the error comes. Before this update there were no problems at all with my printer. 

Does anyone has the same problem? If so, how did you solve it? And would downgrading the firmware be a solution? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

I was just told that this is a new feature.  It monitors the 24V power supply which is used by the steppers and heaters.  It's possible that the limits for this error are set too sensitive but more likely I'd guess your power supply is somewhat defective and your steppers aren't getting the full power they deserve.

Since this is so new - just came out a few days ago - it's hard to judge which of these 2 things are truth.

Does it halt printing?  maybe you can disable it in settings?  I know very little about this.  Does it let you print anyway?

Thanks for your reply! I can't print because no filament can be loaded. Actually, I can't perfom any action. This error pops up every time. 

Do you think it is possible to block these notifications? If so, how? Do you have any experience with downgrading firmware? 

Well you should really look into getting your power supply fixed but yes you can downgrade.  Unfortunately, 8.1.1 is one of those rare versions that can't be downgraded easily.  You have to do the "firmware recovery" procedure.  I'm not sure which version you want to go to but my guess is the latest 7.X.  Anyway if you get to any 7.X version you can then upgrade up to where you want to be if necessary.  I think I'm still on 5.X on my S5.

Here's the procedure.  You are lucky that (for now) the published recovery version is indeed 7.X.  This will probably change within a month or two.  For older versions contact suport. Here's the procedure:

https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1877434822572

It looks like you are in the Netherlands?  And your profile says you have an S3.  Which is good - the S3 is easier I think to do the firmware recovery.

You really should contact your reseller or I'd try contacting UM support directly (since you are in The Netherlands) to ask them about power issues and to let them have a sense for how many people are having power issues when they upgrade to 8.X (maybe they need to change the limits - I really don't know).   Meanwhile order online or locate a uSD card.  You can get them from Amazon - you want ideally 4GB to 32GB (some people have had trouble with larger uSD cards but 4-32GB should be fine).  Maybe you have one in a cell phone or camera already?

Hi @irisammerlaan,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your printer. We have noticed that in some (rare) cases a damaged or underperforming power supply can damage the stepper drives in the printer. Hence why we introduced the error you seeing in 8.1.0, to prevent users from damaging their drivers and having to replace their printer electronics board.

Like you and @gr5 suggested you can downgrade to 7.X. Considering you were printing okay before upgrading, you might be fine. However I would strongly recommend getting the issue with the power supply taken care of to prevent damage to your printer.

13 hours ago, gr5 said:

have a sense for how many people are having power issues when they upgrade to 8.X (maybe they need to change the limits - I really don't know).

I can't make any promises, however I will see if I can get some data on this matter.

2 hours ago, Josnoww said:

I can't make any promises, however I will see if I can get some data on this matter.

I have checked the data we have on this. So far 4 printers have reported ER48. Unfortunately @irisammerlaan are probably one of the 4. 

I was implying information in the other direction - that he should inform UltiMaker support even if just to give UltiMaker a feeling for how many people have this issue.  If they get 1000 support tickets (or 4) that gives UltiMaker a sense if this needs some serious attention.

• Like 1

@gr5 I see I misread your post indeed. Thanks for clarifying :)

• Like 1