OpenScad cube with Text on-top is sliced badly....

MarioLange1983
Go to solution Solved by Cuq,

Posted (edited) · OpenScad cube with Text on-top is sliced badly....

Hi!

I have created a test cube with a letter on top in OpenScad. Normally the letter should start exactly after the last top layer of the cube at 5mm. But the letter starts as outlined letter around 4 layers too early (inside the top layers) and creates a nasty surface. 

letter_test.thumb.jpg.90aa66d25d1f45bbbdab9e3cb09fe2cf.jpg

OpenScad Example #1

cube([25,25,5]);
color("red")translate([4,2,5])linear_extrude(height = 2)
        text("A", font="Arial", size=20);

I have also tried to lift the letter 0.2mm (one layer higher), but this results in a bug?! 

-> layer18 (next layer after last top layer of the cube, letter is full, BUT nothing happens on this layer)

Bildschirmfoto_2023-03-07_11-57-58.png_800x600.thumb.jpg.7e10452b6c967307e83fa0c23c65c46b.jpg

-> layer19 (now the letter starts)

Bildschirmfoto_2023-03-07_11-58-24.png_800x600.thumb.jpg.127e2aa02447f2f7bf795e3d1e88eee2.jpg

OpenScad Example #2

cube([25,25,5]);
color("red")translate([4,2,5.2])linear_extrude(height = 2)
        text("A", font="Arial", size=20);

So iam not sure if this is a OpenScad problem, or a Cura Problem. Any suggestions here?

Edited by MarioLange1983

• Solution
    Posted · OpenScad cube with Text on-top is sliced badly....

Not a Bug just a normal behaviour for Cura as well for OpenScad.  If you want to get a complete Cube and a complete text your must generate 2 models and merge them into Cura . 

• Like 1
    • Laugh 1

@MarioLange1983 if you scale your model up in the X and Y to about 150 x 150 I think you will get a better idea of what is going on.  Because it's a single model the infill from the lower cube is going up into the "A".  That results in a gap in the skin so the infill can keep going.

You can try setting the "Skin Expand Distance" to a higher number so it closes the gap where the infill sneaks through.

• Laugh 1

55 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

@MarioLange1983 if you scale your model up in the X and Y to about 150 x 150 I think you will get a better idea of what is going on.  Because it's a single model the infill from the lower cube is going up into the "A".  That results in a gap in the skin so the infill can keep going.

You can try setting the "Skin Expand Distance" to a higher number so it closes the gap where the infill sneaks through.

This answer makes things clear. I did not thought about the fact, that the infill also goes into the "A". I will test the "Skin Expand Distance" settings, for now the answer from @Cuq was working for me like i think it should!

2 hours ago, Cuq said:

Not a Bug just a normal behaviour for Cura as well for OpenScad.  If you want to get a complete Cube and a complete text your must generate 2 models and merge them into Cura . 

Thank you for this hint! I have created 2 models, put them together and now it prints like it should.